If you think you had a bad day

Siebo

Premium member
Bill Wann (20000 gallon aqaurium) he woke up at 4am yesterday to 18 inches of water in his 10ft deep tank. 6inch pipe broke. He thinks the fish will be ok but the coral is another story.

He posted the news to his Facebook page.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Wow, that sucks to hear.

This is the tank for those who don't know.
[video=youtube;0vtoiHaE_d4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vtoiHaE_d4[/video]

[video=youtube;5fHYh8R3Rh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fHYh8R3Rh0[/video]

morleyz

Wow. I can't even imagine putting something like that together, let alone having that happen to it. I hope he had a big drain near the burst pipe.

I think I'll inspect my plumbing when I get home.

Siebo

Premium member
Just a little something about our lfs [MENTION=1489]Sho Tank[/MENTION]. Matt delivered 60 buckets of salt to Bill yesterday to help get things back up ASAP. Love seeing lfs go above and beyond

ColaAddict

that really sucks. battle not even close to being done. he is going to have some die offs from all those dried up live rock and might go through some cycling issues. I think his corals are toast and fishes still not out of harms way with the cycling issues that he might face.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Glad to see I am not the only one amazed by this!
If I only had the means, I'd have a crazy setup too. A 12,000 SF house with 20Kgal aquarium is a bit to $$$

It's his heart and mindset, to take this hard knock and keep rocking. Its great to read. An ich breakout can take many people out of the hobby and Bill doesn't seem to flinch at this challenge.

Ajmal C

Saw this tank on the news a while back. So sad to hear about this. Could he not have had a monitoring system in place? I guess there is now way to accommodate for a burst pipe that big. Encouraging to see his resilience though! Hope his tank bounces back, he has a wicked filtration system in place. Always wanted to swim with the fishes at home.

Ajmal C

Man those things look like they could skim Lake Michigan, if it were saltwater ofcourse.

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
He has a 6 cylinder 80KW generator, that Eighty KiloWatts! A normal house can get by with 10-12kw and run household AC, fish tanks, TVs and phone chargers.