IM 30L build

charris24

The start of my IM 30 long build. I love IM tanks and skipped the 20 and went to the 30. I love it, nice length, good size, great looks. Here's where we are: IM tank and stand, ghost skimmer and reactor, nanobox quad running off bluefish controller, cobalt neotherm heater, stock pump and mp10.
Once it's cycled I am breaking down my JBJ 28 and will be transferring over my Apex, another mp10, some live rock and inhabitants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fishmasterj

I am considering getting the same tank -- did you order it online or buy it locally? I've had freshwater tanks for years, and this will be my first saltwater tank. I'm a bit overwhelmed. I could break down a couple of my freshwaters and then go all in... maybe even do the IM Nuvo SR-120, but nervous about the investment.

-----------------------------------
fishmasterj
Rogers Park (Chicago)

charris24

The IM sr line is sweet. I wish I had the coin to splurge. I bought locally from a fellow reefer. IMO these tanks are the way to go for starting out. Easy setup and you can add equipment fairly easy to them, more so than JbJ or Biocubes. I've only had it a week but I love it. I am transferring everything from an established tank, so the cycle will be fairly short.
I used to keep African cichlids, and loved them, but saltwater is an art. Especially with all the different types of coral and fish. It's more challenging, which is fun for me too.

charris24

Fyi, there is a guy on Craigslist selling the same tank and stand for $550 in Brookfield. Pretty good deal!

charris24

Looks good! I'm about three weeks in to an instant reef with my build and I love it. Keep us posted.

fishmasterj

Where should i buy my corals? I have two clownfish - my tank has cycled. I would like an anenome for them to host, but I also want other corals too, and I hear that anenomes are hostile. I live in Rogers Park but will be out in Oak Brook tomorrow morning. Anything in between is an option. I also have an 8 gallon tank, that I'm stocking.

charris24

Personally I would look for corals on here, usually really good deals. Or travel 15 more minutes west to Aquapros in glen ellyn. As for the anenome, I would wait a while before getting one. They need very stable tank parameters and they will sting other coral. I by no means am an expert or close to it but you can find lots of information on here to find what you may want or like.