Importing fish into US

HecticZ

I am wondering if anybody has ever imported fish while they were on vacation and how hard was it. Is it worth the hassle?

I see so many Sunburst Anthias, and rare Angels. I just want to take them home. I dont even want to talk about the prices, the US dollar goes a good way here in the Philippines.

mlreef

I've never tried. I do know a lot of freight forwarders though that may assist you in the transporting of them as well as the paper work. Let me know if you are interested.

HecticZ

I've never tried. I do know a lot of freight forwarders though that may assist you in the transporting of them as well as the paper work. Let me know if you are interested.
I might be really interested especially since I saw a couple of nice Goldflake angelfish. US dollars $50

Smith11

Florida fishing licence holders can take 40 specimens per day and no more than 5 of a single species. No stony corals allowed or live rock

I was thinking the same thing for my trip next month to Fiji. I'll be looking for some folks there that can send me some fish and dirt cheap prices if I can.

I didn't know I would have to jump through these hoops to get a couple of little fish into my tank. Geez.

Would it be easier to have a shipment sent to a local fish shop?

poidog

No, because you would still be the importer and would have to acquire all the permits and paperwork for their import into the country. If you do all that you might as well make connections over there an open your own fish import business! :)

HecticZ

If you get the permits and everything ill give you a few bucks to grab me some fish and stuff
I am trying to keep it at about 8 fish.

I am trying to find rarer fish, not fish I can easily get in the states.

I am pretty sure if i come back with some nice angels like a goldflake angel, someone is going to want him. Oh and not at $300 cheaper than that.

So far I am looking at about $150-170 if I bring it back as one of my check in bags. If I get all the paperworks in time. Or I am going to meet with the exporter later.

I saw one of the nicest undulate trigger I have ever seen, colors so vibrant. Same with coral beauties.