In Canopy T5 Retrofit w/ATI Ballasts or ATI Sunpower Fixture?

SkullV

I have all the parts to do a 4x24" retrofit inside a canopy but I'm a little worried about how close the fixture will be to the water (4" off the water) in a 20g tank (12" depth).

The retrofit would use:

• Twistlock End Caps
  • ATI 2x24w Ballast (x2)
  • TEK 4x24" T5 Reflector (individually contoured)
  • Various Fans to Cool Bulbs/Evacuate Heat

I love the way the canopy looks on the tank, but don't want to bleach everything out (almost all SPS).

The other option is just hanging a 4x24w ATI Sunpower that I also have on hand.

This is the tank in question without the canopy (blocking the light):

Without the canopy (still cloudy from just moving everything over):

Thoughts?

ColaAddict

Why don't you use the ATI for now to acclimate the corals to the T5, start high and lower fixture to acclimate corals until you reach 4" above water. then use the canopy T5 you're making.

Tank2379

Just notice the picture, it does look a little on the low side. you can modify it and make it taller to give you some room.

SkullV

Don't want to modify the canopy, it's the exact look I want if info with the canopy. I wish it was 3" taller, then I'd do it for sure.

As far as the T5 acclimation, the coral is used to bring under a LOT of LED so I don't know if acclimation would be needed (maybe even reverse) but not sure.

ultimatemj

I'd do the retro fit.

If it's too much light you can reduce the number of hours, reduce the number of bulbs, or put a diffuser under the bulbs...or a mix of those.

Due to being 4" above the water, I'd probably start with the diffuser to get an improved blending of the different (bulb) spectrums.

SkullV

I totally forgot about a floating canopy, I think the actual canopy depth is enough to hide some shelving brackets, if so, that's the obvious choice!

ColaAddict

Don't want to modify the canopy, it's the exact look I want if info with the canopy. I wish it was 3" taller, then I'd do it for sure.

As far as the T5 acclimation, the coral is used to bring under a LOT of LED so I don't know if acclimation would be needed (maybe even reverse) but not sure.
When I switched back to T5 from LED (reef breeders) I actually bleached some of my chalices with T5, so I think you should be careful switching back as well.

SkullV

When I switched back to T5 from LED (reef breeders) I actually bleached some of my chalices with T5, so I think you should be careful switching back as well.
Thanks for the heads up, it'll definitely be adjustable (by raising/lowering the bracket if nothing else).