In-wall, or not in-wall

caragol

So, I'm moving down the street to a house with a basement provided everything goes through. The basement is unfinished and that's project 1. My question is, when planning that out, should I go for an in-wall tank and throw up some molding to give it that framed look? Or should I put a tank and stand against the wall and plumb it back into the fish room behind? Are there pros and cons? I never really considered them, but there was a post where someone said they're never doing an in-wall again and I couldn't figure out why, never having done it myself.

Prov3:5-6

Great post, I'm looking forward to peoples comments. I too have been pondering whether or not to do an in wall and I know there are a few people here with very strong feelings on one way or the other!!!

trackfast

Princess Trainer
if I were working with an unfinished basement, I would go with a stand in the middle where you could look at it from all sides. but to answer to your question, I would rather go not in wall. I just like it to be more accessible.

Knuckles

I put mine in the basement and plumbed through the wall into a closet underneath the basement stairs. Just cut a hole in the wall and pass the pipe through. Caragol I'm in Plainfield if u want to take a look

These are old pictures from when I was running my sols but the only ones I could find right now

SkunkerX

I would say in wall if you have the room behind where everything aint jam packed where you can barley move which since your working with an unfinished basement I don't think that will be a problem, plus it helps deaden the noise, equipment would be more accessible either way but the in wall looks much cleaner. Plus like mine I put another 12" lift under the stand so now the bottom of the tank is just above the couch.

poidog

plumb back through wall. I still like to look around the tank. I think it gives it a more 3d real look than just as a single viewing pane.

capysolo

I too am planning a tank build over an unfinished basement. I plan on not-in-wall. I'll drill through the floor and put everything but the tank in the basement. The tank will be against am exterior wall, so i don't have many options. If i did have options though, i think is still do it like this. I like to look around the tank as well... Good luck!

Jwblocal701

In wall in wall
I did this a few months back and love it
I walk into a closet and all my stuff is in there
All the room in the world to work on stuff
Looks like a living picture
Ps this is a old pic not much in there lol

SkunkerX

I have removable panels on my tank
As you can see in the pic
I actually never put the back one on
I like seeing it from the back when I'm in the room
+1 i do the same thing the only time I put the back panels on is when I have company

Duc1098

I have mine in the wall and hate it. When I do another one it will not be an in wall. It is just such a pain to clean, feed, arrange corals/rocks. If you do it in wall, make sure you give yourself removable panels in front so you can work on the tank.

Prov3:5-6

Ive heard of in wall tanks that have nice border/frame around them and they build a false top frame which can flip up similar to a canopy which still gives you access to the front of the tank.

Siebo

Premium member
Multiple viewing angles is a must IMO. You could have it protrude out of the wall with the stand and canopy finished floor to ceiling like the rest of the basement. It would appear built in but would also have viewing on all three side. Then the back is still open to the room behind the tank.

Just an option, if I was building out my basement I would build a peninsula with the back edge in the wall. Something like this but, with the plumbing in the next room/ wall.
View attachment 14095

jm23

+1, I was reading the whole thread surprised no one mentioned a peninsula style tank. If you have the ability to design your basement however you want it, I would use the tank, like in the photo to separate the rooms. Plumbing your equipment into the other room has no cons that I can think of besides taking up space in the other room. I would highly recommend plumbing through the wall no matter which direction you go. I built open book shelves under my tank stand which makes the large tank not feel like it is a taking up a ton of space in the room. Good luck, choose the style you like best.

Multiple viewing angles is a must IMO. You could have it protrude out of the wall with the stand and canopy finished floor to ceiling like the rest of the basement. It would appear built in but would also have viewing on all three side. Then the back is still open to the room behind the tank.

Just an option, if I was building out my basement I would build a peninsula with the back edge in the wall. Something like this but, with the plumbing in the next room/ wall.
View attachment 14095

Knuckles

I put mine in the basement and plumbed through the wall into a closet underneath the basement stairs. Just cut a hole in the wall and pass the pipe through. Caragol I'm in Plainfield if u want to take a look

These are old pictures from when I was running my sols but the only ones I could find right now

Here's the back side underneath the stairs which houses the sump and top off tank

caragol

I'm afraid to post because I don't want to stop the input, but if you can see around the back and sides and get to the top in the fish room, then all good? This thread is really making me think!