Inferior active carbon turn new tank all black, what to do...

superfish

I'm not happy these days. I added tetra water conditioner in my new system. it causing my skimmer to overflow forever.
So I bought some aquarium use active carbon on ebay. The cheap one!!! Was hoping that it may clean out the conditioner, stop the bubble.
I rinsed it well before place it in water, 24 hours later, my tank is like this now...
What should I do? Will it hurt the fish, rock, filter media, equipments????

All I want to do is to leave a negative----- feedback!!!!
View attachment 13954View attachment 13955
View attachment 13953

bryman

Try running some polyfilter on top of your biomedia in the sump to catch the particulates. And probably run some good carbon to get out any other junk from the bad carbon.

jayjerk

Premium member
Learn a lesson yet? Stop being cheap get what you need to succeed of just shut it down. You'll be forever throwing money at it

ColaAddict

I don't think it'll hurt the fish. Just use a really small micron filter and it's catch all that carbon floating in your water. Don't be cheap with carbon next time :)

madjoe

Premium member
R u tumbleing the carbon or something either that or u have it in the wrong micron size bageven with cheap crap if done right wouldnt do that

jrpark22000

Premium member
There's nothing to leave negative ebay feedback about, you purchased lignite carbon, the most dangerous for our fish. Hopefully you don't have any fish who are known to have HLLE problems. The particle size of the carbon in your water is incredibly small. IT's going to be difficult to find a filter small enough to get it out. A Votex Diatom Filter would do it, but even sonething as small as a 100 micron filter sock likely isn't going to do much.

Did you run the carbon in a reactor? Something that may take longer but could work it to get some good carbon, like BRS ROX. Cut a peice or two of blue filter floss circles and stack them ontop of a fairly full and tightly packed reactor of ROX. This compression and filter floss should start to plug up, as it plugs up it'll start collecting smaller and smaller particle sizes from the water. After a while it should start helping.

superfish

There's nothing to leave negative ebay feedback about, you purchased lignite carbon, the most dangerous for our fish. Hopefully you don't have any fish who are known to have HLLE problems. The particle size of the carbon in your water is incredibly small. IT's going to be difficult to find a filter small enough to get it out. A Votex Diatom Filter would do it, but even sonething as small as a 100 micron filter sock likely isn't going to do much.

Did you run the carbon in a reactor? Something that may take longer but could work it to get some good carbon, like BRS ROX. Cut a peice or two of blue filter floss circles and stack them ontop of a fairly full and tightly packed reactor of ROX. This compression and filter floss should start to plug up, as it plugs up it'll start collecting smaller and smaller particle sizes from the water. After a while it should start helping.
Thanks, Josh.
have a few questions for you: why is it dangerous? i bought it on eaby, the title says its for aquarium use...is it gonna release something? and how is related to HLLE problem?
i rinsed it well and placed it in sump, i dont use carbon on daily basis, was just hoping it can stop the skimmer to overflow.
what do you think i should do now? do big water change? the water seems to clear today. i cleaned the bottom, but looks like a lot of the dusts has been collected in the filter, do you think thats ok/??? or should i clean all of it...

superfish

R u tumbleing the carbon or something either that or u have it in the wrong micron size bageven with cheap crap if done right wouldnt do that
Thanks.
it was not tumbleing, i put them in sump, high flow area.bag might be a issue.. i was just using the net bags comes with the carbon!!!!

bryman

Low grades of carbon can release dust even if rinsed well. Carbon dust has been linked to HLLE in tangs. If it has settled or been drawn into a filter media, siphon it out and change the filter. Then you should be fine. And do yourself a favor and buy ROX from Bulk Reef Supply. Need to use less, lasts longer, and 5 second rinse = no dust. Make sure to also get a very fine mesh bag because it's tiny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thanks, Josh.
have a few questions for you: why is it dangerous? i bought it on eaby, the title says its for aquarium use...is it gonna release something? and how is related to HLLE problem?
i rinsed it well and placed it in sump, i dont use carbon on daily basis, was just hoping it can stop the skimmer to overflow.
what do you think i should do now? do big water change? the water seems to clear today. i cleaned the bottom, but looks like a lot of the dusts has been collected in the filter, do you think thats ok/??? or should i clean all of it...
I tired finding it, but I've got a headache tonight and gave up searching.

In ReefCentral Water Chemistry section, a guy with the screen name "boomer" He's a very knowledgeable individual who's worked with several people like Randy Holmes. They were the ones (per their own words) helped get ROX carbon in the aquarium trade by convincing BRS to sell it. From what I read BRS has little mark up on it, ROX is quite expensive compared to the other carbon sources.

Boomer has a long thread(s) on carbon and why it's better, including release of trace elements like heavy metals. More importantly how much more porous ROX is than the other types.

Carbon dust is linked to HLLE in several fish species; tangs, butterfly fish and several others. Tumbling any carbon creates carbon dust and all cheap carbons have this dust.

superfish

Low grades of carbon can release dust even if rinsed well. Carbon dust has been linked to HLLE in tangs. If it has settled or been drawn into a filter media, siphon it out and change the filter. Then you should be fine. And do yourself a favor and buy ROX from Bulk Reef Supply. Need to use less, lasts longer, and 5 second rinse = no dust. Make sure to also get a very fine mesh bag because it's tiny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
thanks!! i don't usually run carbon for my FOT, but learned a lessen this time!!! lol

superfish

I tired finding it, but I've got a headache tonight and gave up searching.

In ReefCentral Water Chemistry section, a guy with the screen name "boomer" He's a very knowledgeable individual who's worked with several people like Randy Holmes. They were the ones (per their own words) helped get ROX carbon in the aquarium trade by convincing BRS to sell it. From what I read BRS has little mark up on it, ROX is quite expensive compared to the other carbon sources.

Boomer has a long thread(s) on carbon and why it's better, including release of trace elements like heavy metals. More importantly how much more porous ROX is than the other types.

Carbon dust is linked to HLLE in several fish species; tangs, butterfly fish and several others. Tumbling any carbon creates carbon dust and all cheap carbons have this dust.
Thanks!, the water is clean now, after 2 big cleaning, but my filter sock still gets black everyday... fish seems to be fine, hopefully i can get everything fixed soon!