Installed a new piece of equipment - Clarisea

ultimatemj

My general approach to reefing is to aim for stability with the least amount of ‘maintenance’.

Current system runs on an Apex with multiple redundancies and alarms.

ATO is refilled directly from the RODI - Only maintenance is replacing DI resin ~3times a year and the RO filter once a year.

Dosing via Kalk reactor - reload once a month

Skimmer outputs into a ~1gal Davy Jones locker. The Apex tells me when to empty it; typically 4 times a year

Turf scrubber - harvest 2 fists full a month

Gave up on filter socks and have been using a plastic box with filter floss - have to replace it weekly and was still getting lots of detritus in the sump, and tank is not ‘crystal clear’. So this has required bi-Weekly water changes and that’s barely keeping up with the ‘dirt’.

Enter roller filter!

I bought a Clarisea (gen2) for Xmas and just got around to installing it...

Wow! I’m not sure how long a roll is going to last, but within an hour it was exporting like crazy and the tank was crystal (minus all the now super obvious scratches in the acrylic).

Day one - initial impression is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Very cool to hear. I’ve been on the fence with these for my planned upgrade. Hopefully it continues to do well for you. I’m curious to see how long the filter lasts. I imagine it will be short for the first roll as it removes a lot of the nutrients initially.

ESH

Premium member
Thats awesome! I love these things. I picked up a similar one, the theiling compact roller mat. Reviews on it said each roll lasted about a month, less if you are running higher flow through it. There were deals over black friday on the replacement ones so I got 12 rolls so I didn't have to think about buying more for the year. Sound wise and getting the full siphon effect, I have a basement sump now so I don't hear anything from it, and even in the basement it's pretty silent. Appears to be achieve the siphon effect. Upstairs, I'll hear a surge sound from the drain pipe occasionally, and sometimes a trickle sound from the emergency line but most of the time all I hear is the fans from my lights or the powerheads in the tank when they ramp up the flow. Also, back to the roller man, I'm about 2 or 3 weeks in, my roll is about 2/3 of the way through. I did stir up a ton of gunk moving things over to my tank so that may have accelerated things.

ultimatemj

That looks awesome- is it quiet? can you create a full siphon like I do with a drain pipe into a filter sock ?
Very quite, only thing you ever hear is a faint 1 sec grrrr as the motor advances the roll.

Siphon-wise, I can't say. My sump is 25' away in the basement and I don't use a siphon based overflow. That said, the outlet into the Clarisea is underwater...so it probably would work that way.

To ESH's point, I'm sure the first roller will be "used up" much faster than the next. My tank water was "dirty" and I too stirred things up to get it filtered out. I should go ahead and reorder a couple rolls to have them on the shelf when I need them!

The new water clarity is so nice it has been thinking about replacing the old acrylic tank :eek1:

ultimatemj

As expected, the first roll exported heavily for a couple of weeks, and the resulting water clarity is very noticeable.

Last edited:

ultimatemj

2days

So much better than socks!

Thinking I‘m going to stir the sand bed every Saturday for export

ultimatemj

Add this to the list of ‘why did I not buy this sooner’!

The water clarity continues to improve! Even the sump is starting to look clean

Right now a roll last about a month, but (with as much as I’ve been stirring up the sand bed) I expect it’s going to last a lot longer once it’s only capturing ‘new gunk’.

on this piece of equipment!

Last edited:

DKST227

That's cool looking... so did you add this as additional filtration or did you replace something in your setup... It seems like this piece would be in place of a filter sock? What's your thought? Thanks!