Intentional symmetry destruction

jcarlilesiu

One of the first SPS coral that I got was this red whirlybowl montipora. It was purchased from the SPS tank at Old Orchard, and a few months after purchase was showing decent growth.

Top right corner

After moving things around a bit, I decieded to keep it at the top of the tank and allow it to grow off of a shelf I created in the rock to expand the overhang naturally.

Here are some growth shots:

Top left corner

Its now starting to shade the growing favia on the ledge next to it. I don't really have an issue with this, as I don't want to manipulate growth patterns too much.

But should I decide to trim this montipora back, I know I am going to affect the natural symmetrical growth it has developed.

Let it go, or trim it back?

ColaAddict

Jake, it's just gonna keep on growing and shade other corals. Just frag it and sell the frags :)
Nice FTS by the way.

ColaAddict

Or you could move it to bottom of tank, which is what I did for my cap. They don't need that much light, so they can go to bottom of tank and expand without shading other corals

FishBeard

Or you could move it to bottom of tank, which is what I did for my cap. They don't need that much light, so they can go to bottom of tank and expand without shading other corals
This is what Mark did (MMReefCrazy) and his tank looks awesome. Between bare bottom and low placed montis, it adds an artificial tank depth as if you are only seeing the surface of the reef in his tank.

jcarlilesiu

That is what the wife wants me to do but I love the shelving effect it plays. Like three different fish have homes under it. Maybe ill move it down if I can find a good spot for it.