Is this Ich?

yman182

Before anyone says anything...I have a QT tank that is almost ready and no these fish were not QTed even though I got great advice to do it.

Now on to the more pressing matter.

I have had all the fish in the tank for at least 4 weeks. I noticed my flame angel started to get some spots on her. I have never seen Ich before in person so I was hoping someone would be able to figure something out from the pictures. All the fish are active and eating well...just the small spots.

Any help would be appreciated. In the first pick you can see the side fin is kind of torn up.

Please let me know if any more information would help with this.

Thank You very much,

Yury

CienFuegos

Premium member
I can't really make out if it is or isn't but when I got ich in the my DT, the fish that got it had white if blotches or the scales started to look like it was fading... Also they'll start to swim against the glass, rub on the sand bed.

Hope that helps.

yman182

They dont have white blotches and they do not scrape against anything. The Flame just has tiny spots on her fins and that is it. Nothing on her actual body or around the gills.

It could be the starting signs of it. What fish do you have in the tank? Ich is one of those things that is really hard to detect until it is already deep in its life cycle. That's why you QT. If you are concerned, QT your remaining fish and medicate them. I made the same mistake you did and lost most of my fish to ich. It's not worth the risk.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Sorry, I should have said a little more. You have caught this early and can beat it without losing a single fish. Timing is important so you need to hurry. Get them ALL into qt right away. I prefer treating with cupramine. Others prefer to go with hypo. What every you do, read up a bunch on the method you choose. Good luck.

yman182

Does anyone know how often WC need to be done in the Hospital tank and what kind of filtration is required? I read not to use carbon.

I will be trying the cupermine treatment option.

DD

"Rambo"
You will need to monitor your ammonia levels nearly daily. They sell those little stick on ammonia alert badges which are helpful.

Filtration is typically an HOB with a seeded sponge from your DT.

Carbon will remove whatever medication you add.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I've only successfully beat ich once before I got serious about qt before introducing new fish. When treating with cupramine, you absolutely need a copper test. It is a fine line between effective and overdose. Just fill the qt with water from your dt. Don't run any filtration and don't put any rock in there. The only thing you need is a heater and a powerhead along with some things for the fish to hide in. I've used PVC pipe sections and I've used dishes like a water pitcher, gravy boat, etc. You'll need to do water changes often like every three days or so. Leave the tank with I no fish for 8 weeks.

Most importantly, read up. There is tons of info out there for this.

yman182

Thank you everyone!

I purchased 2 of those seachem ammonia testers to put in the tank. I was going to fill up the hospital tank with 50% tank water and 50% fresh salt water. I was planning on doing about a 20% water change every 2-3 days as needed. I've been reading all night about this. I hope this will all go well.

I learned the hard way to not QT new fish. I lost a lot of my fish from ich. I now know to QT all new fish and medicate them prior to going into the main tank. Good luck with everything.

CienFuegos

Premium member
I learned the hard way to not QT new fish. I lost a lot of my fish from ich. I now know to QT all new fish and medicate them prior to going into the main tank. Good luck with everything.
I'm with you icedearth... I lost two fish due to ich. I've also learned the importance of a QT process. I will say that before I would do a fresh water (RO/DI) dip on them.

DB9181

Sorry, I should have said a little more. You have caught this early and can beat it without losing a single fish. Timing is important so you need to hurry. Get them ALL into qt right away. I prefer treating with cupramine. Others prefer to go with hypo. What every you do, read up a bunch on the method you choose. Good luck.
I've also had great success with medication mysis (focus, vc, garlic, selcon, etc)

CienFuegos

Premium member
The way I USE to do it was by bring up the temp in the bucket with the RO/DI water and I would place them there for five mins. Then I would move them to the DT. At first i didn't go down the QT route because I live in a condo and room is well....

For how long?

yman182

so I am ready to add cupermine or fish. Am i supposed to add the cupermine first then add the fish or add the fish, give them a day and then add cupermine?

Thank You,

Yury

CienFuegos

Premium member
The way I did it was once I got all of the fish into the QT tanks I added the copper. I followed the instructions on the bottle but did it a couple of extra days.

so I am ready to add cupermine or fish. Am i supposed to add the cupermine first then add the fish or add the fish, give them a day and then add cupermine?

Thank You,

Yury
Since fish can be sensitive to copper, and depending on where you get them from, the fish may be very stressed out. I think the best thing to do is get all the fish in the tank, and let them settle for a few days. Let them get comfortable. Then you slowly start adding the curpramine. But depending on the fish, take it slowly.

yman182

HELP!

Got home today and one of the fish was wrapped around my mp10...alive, but not moving. I put it into the hospital tank and she is just laying there breathing heavy...what should I do? I feel like she is suffering.

Also can Ich cause death that quickly? Last night at 11PM she was swimming and eating just fine.