Is UV lighting beneficial?

ColaAddict

I am seeing some light fixtures with UV lighting included in them. These are not UV sterilizers, the UV is emitted by a UV bulb together with the light. Some LED fixtures have these option. Anyone have any idea on the use of those with LED's? Are they beneficial? Do they do anything to the look of corals?

scotty

UV light will be purely cosmetic, it wont make things grow any faster. it will make the stuff that pops under actinics, really really pop.

i can get into useable spectrums, but basically the corals dont use the UV spectrum for anything.

poidog

be careful with UV... to much will kill - hence no UV filter glass on a MH bulb. I don't know what scotty is talking about... UV is what causes coral pigmentation - it alone won't make color's "pop" as UV is an invisible part of the spectrum.

Color change due to UV light
In nature, ultraviolet light waves (UV-A and UV-B) penetrate the ocean's surface but are filtered out as the light travels through the water. Both UV-A and UV-B light waves have been found to cause destruction of DNA and RNA within coral tissue. In response, many corals have made adaptations to reduce the effects of these harmful rays. These corals developed protective pigments that are often blue, purple, or pink in color. Most corals that contain these pigments come from shallow waters where the amount of UV-A and UV-B light is higher than in deeper areas of the reef.

In home reef aquariums that rely on metal halide lighting, it is important to protect corals from UV light. Coral without these protective pigments as well as shallow water corals that may have lost their pigments during transportation are especially susceptible to the effects of UV light. Fortunately, preventing any UV light from entering the aquarium is as simple as employing glass aquarium canopies and making sure the protective glass lens on the metal halide fixture is properly installed.

It is not uncommon for corals with these bright colors to adjust to the lower UV-A and UV-B conditions found within home aquariums. The loss of colorful pigmentation is not necessarily a sign of an unhealthy coral - it is simply a normal coral adjusting to its new environment.

scotty

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/9/aafeature/view?searchterm=

In the low doses the leds give, the pigmentation is likened to sunscreen......I do in fact research before I talk on things. Usually the greens and violets we see from actinics, close to the uv spectrum, is in fact quite visable.

Anyhoo back to topic, if you get the uv leds to suppliment, they will be basically actinic lighting, which is why they aren't really that popular because the coral can use the 430/20 spectrum better with the same cosmetic use that you want.

poidog

I'm not arguing with you regarding UV causing the coral pigmentation (read my post above). UV light is NOT visible by the human eye, so you are not seeing any "pop" cause by visible UV light... not saying that the coral pigmentation caused by UV light/radiation isn't visible.

Thanks for the link, should be an interesting read.

poidog

Yes, actinics are close to the UV spectrum at 420nm

A typical human eye will respond to wavelengths from about 390 to 750 nm

Fluorescent lamps without a phosphorescent coating to convert UV to visible light, emit ultraviolet light with two peaks at 253.7 nm and 185 nm due to the peak emission of the mercury within the bulb.

Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) can be manufactured to emit light in the ultraviolet range, although practical LED arrays are very limited below 365 nm