ISTA Water Flow Accelerators???

mlreef

Bump... Anyone out there use or have used these before or knows someone that is currently using them? Thanks!

FishBeard

One came with the inlet piping on my hydra BP reactor, all I noticed of it was that it would suck pellets into the openings on the volute and blast them to the bottom of the reactor. I removed it and the reactor runs better and much quieter (less pellet noise). The pellets would also regularly blind up in the openings. I think it's kind of a gimmick IMO and at best you may get a little more circulation right near the volute.

yogoshio

But if used in the aquarium, it would fan out flow instead of just a straight stream then? I don't know about Mike, but I was looking into these as part of a closed loop outlet rather than in a reactor.

yogoshio

And on marinedepot.com they have a 4/5 star review. Most say they worked well. It seems its more of a way to change flow into a circular pattern than get a straight blast.

FishBeard

Not sure just how much to trust ratings and reviews online. On top of being marine depot. I'm not convinced these produce any different flow pattern than a standard round nozzle. From what I can tell it basically acts as a flume to bottleneck the flow out and increase velocity. Try it if you like, I just wouldn't waste the money expecting a miracle cure-all. If they were all that it would be huge news all over the reefing community telling people to buy them.

yogoshio

I don't expect a cure-all, I'll have more than enough flow, but it would be nice to have a circular flow pattern instead of just the standard fan-out from a flathead piece.

mlreef

Well at this point I hope that the 16 that I ordered for my closed loop work well. I have spent many hours researching the effects of these and the consistent consensus has been that they increase the amount of flow between 20% - 30% vs a traditional nozzle.

RedDevil.258

I have had some expierence with these in a look down tank. They do add some additional back pressure to the system, so plumbing has to be on point ie no leaks. They work great, take that solid stream from standard nozzels and spread it out. You do lose penetration in the tank but if you are running them with a CL shoud not be and issue. I only have one CON they are fairly large and noticeable.

They will work great in your setup! Make sure you post a review and rate it! Thanks

:)