I've Got The Itch - New To Reefing

Folks,

I’m new to the reef forum but have been doing a lot of reading and researching. I’ve successfully kept freshwater and saltwater fish only tanks in the past but bowed out of the hobby once I left for college over 15 years ago. I’m looking to dive into a smaller reef setup with mostly inverts and maybe some tiny fish.

I’ve already purchased my sump/fuge and it’s a 15 gallon acrylic unit that measures 24” w x 9” d x 15” h with 3 compartments. I’ve yet to order my tank and stand due to the exacting specs I need the setup to fit into my living room. I’ve been researching my behind off to make sure that the tank fits my needs and doesn’t overtake the aesthetics of my pretty modern flat in the city. I want the tank to enhance and blend with my current décor and not overtake or compete with anything in my living space. The tank’s back will be really close to a corner wall and the front of the tank will be flush with the arm of my left facing chaise of my sectional.. To access the sump and cabinet, I will have to move the sectional pieces, but I am fine with this.

I’ve decided on a custom acrylic tank and stand that measures 32” w x 12” d x 16” h. The stand would be around 30” h. This would allow the sump to fit inside the stand. I’m planning to have the tank predrilled with a horizontal overflow with no teeth. I’d prefer the water to sheet into the overflow as to provide some initial skimming of the display tank. before sending the water to the sump. From what I have gathered, a 1” bulkhead fitting will yield a waterflow of 300 gph being sent to the sump.

As I don’t want to be restricted to what I can keep in this tank, I am planning on lighting the setup with an AI SOL Nano, AI SOL Blue or the new Maxspect Masarra. LED dual fixture I’m going hard with the lights, as it seems to be the most important factor when deciding what I can put in the tank and it can grow with my needs as they change in time. I’d rather spend the big bucks initially and do it right then have to rebuy later.

Return pump will be Eheim and I haven’t decided on an in-sump skimmer or a heater yet, as there are plenty of good options. I’ve been planning my setup going back and forth with Old Town Aquarium with quotes on the tank and stand, as I don’t want to jump into this overly excited and making a big mistake without thoroughly researching and understanding as much as I can. They quoted my tank at $200 with $100 additional for the overflow and another $400 for the acrylic stand.

Everything will be purchased as my finances allow going forward. This will keep me from jumping the gun and moving too quickly without thoroughly thinking about my choices.

How does this all sound to you? I’m trying to get some feedback from some seasoned reefers as your experience is invaluable for a reefing newbie, such as me. I may think I have read enough and know enough, but I know better……and I am far from that.

Any advice on my choices would be absolutely welcomed and appreciated. I’m trying my best to not enter this very expensive hobby blindly and the more I know the better.

Thanks!!!

Walt

poidog

If I were to do LED i'd do the Maxspect Masarra. It will look really nice with your design. Or you can wait until after this weekend to see what the new Ecotech LEDs will look like. For the return pump, I just got the SRO water blaster and love it. It is almost completely silent.

This is my preference, but if I were doing custom I'd do starphire glass over acrylic.

Sounds like you're on the right path... good luck!

If I were to do LED i'd do the Maxspect Masarra. It will look really nice with your design. Or you can wait until after this weekend to see what the new Ecotech LEDs will look like. For the return pump, I just got the SRO water blaster and love it. It is almost completely silent.

This is my preference, but if I were doing custom I'd do starphire glass over acrylic.

Sounds like you're on the right path... good luck!
Thanks! That lighting option is what I was leaning more towards. I was thinking of the Nano's too but after seeing the units yesterday online and figuring the costs of two modules and a controller plus the mountings, it was only $400 shy of the Maxspects...and I think it would make more sense to just buy those.

I won't be buying anything for at least a couple weeks, so I will check out the Ecotechs as soon as they are revealed. :beer:

FishBeard

My only suggestion, if you can afford the space is to go 18" deep on the tank. You will quickly find yourself cramped for space with only 12" to work with. Otherwise, sounds like the man knows what he wants. Look forward to seeing your progress, and welcome to chicago reefs!

FishBeard

Lol, I was gonna suggest 24" but if space is tight with 12", I figured that would be out of line. The extra 6" might be reasonable from the blind description of the tanks location.

Smitty

Premium member
Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Sounds like you've done your research, and are on your way to a great set up. Are you going to use a protein skimmer also, that may be something you want to add to your list. :)

My only suggestion, if you can afford the space is to go 18" deep on the tank. You will quickly find yourself cramped for space with only 12" to work with. Otherwise, sounds like the man knows what he wants. Look forward to seeing your progress, and welcome to chicago reefs!
If I had the space, I definately would, but it's already going to be tight at 12". This is why I chose to do an invert tank only with just tiny fish like a goby or two. The deepest I would be able to do is 13"

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Sounds like you've done your research, and are on your way to a great set up. Are you going to use a protein skimmer also, that may be something you want to add to your list. :)
Yes, I am definately going to invest in a good skimmer once I get the setup going and introduce livestock. I was thinking about the Hydor Nano to go into the sump. Since there will be few fish in there, I was thinking that would be enough to handle my bio-load.