Jbj 45

Lay

Dont know if this is nano enough...

So thia is my first saltwater tank. I went big but not too big where i would outgrow it right away.
So here is my build...

JbJ 45
In tank upgraded media baskets
35 40ish pounds of live rock with pond matrix in the back. Also 35lbs of carib sea reef sand.
I have a radion xr15w pro with the mount
Gyre 130 running at 30 percent.

Here are my questions. I wanna get a skimmer i know i dont need it now but wanna start thinking about it. I know the tunze 9004 barley fits. I am going with a sleek look so i dont want hang on the back options. Anysuggestions?

Cycling this ia day 6 and i have brown algae. Like a said live rock with sand also added macter bacter 7. I just want to make sure this is good algae. Based on the LFS i turned up the radion to 80% and run it morw like 16 hours a day to help the cycle. I will attach a picture let me know what you think.

Also ATO is was think jbj but i like the new ones with the sensors.

It wont let me post linka so i cant post a pic

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Paulip

Under 30 gallons is usually what's considered nano. I recently setup my first reef tank. The experience is still fresh in my mind. Here are my recommendations:

1) Just run your normal daylight cycle. Your tank is already alive. Anymore will just encourage green algae.

2) Run the flow as high as you can without a sandstorm while it's unstocked. This will keep your rock free of "dandruff" from the live rock die off and algae.

3) Watch your water parameters. Especially, alkalinity. Lot's of interesting reading. You will be scratching your head over this. Unless, your a Marine Biochemist.

4) I hope you don't mean you have 35-40ish pounds of live rock in your SUMP. The quality of your liverock will probably have an great impact on how you experience growing pains in the next few months.

If your rocks aren't covered with coralline yet, you will be obsessing in a topic that most reef keepers don't even think about anymore, except when they have to clean it off. Unlike freshwater tanks which require proper methods to avoid green algae, you also need to create conditions where coralline supplants it. Stay "low nutrient" as long as possible until you decide on the livestock you want. Time will clean off your rocks and provide a good biological foundation.

5) I am very happy with my recent Hydor Smart Level and Aqualifter purchase. The sensor doesn't use floats which get gunked up and the Aqualifter provides minute precision for my nano. JBJ is held in even higher regard.

Not sure how the JBJ is in the rear, but consider this: Hydor Smart level has fixed high and low points for the water level about 1-2cm apart.

In the biocube, the return chamber water level reflects the total evaporation ( the water is 4-6 inches lower) because the return pump is evacuating the chamber as much as it possibly can. The main DT water level stays maxed to the rim. Why it doesn't push harder to overflow the main display, I don't know...Perhaps, if I get a stronger return pump. So, I am actually watching the return chamber levels high/low which equates to just 2 cups of water before th Hydor triggers a top off.

Last edited:

Lay

Ok thanks for the input. I will put my lights back to normal cycle. No the 35lbs of rock is in the tank. I think the algae is just the new tank brown algae.

Paulip

Brown algae is normal for a new tank for about a week. Are you using RODI water? If you use tap, it could persist because of the presence of silicates.

Reverse Osmosis filtration is the best investment in the aquarium hobby.

Last edited:

Lay

Ya its rodi i bit thr bullet and figured it was a good investment. I was told to not do water changes for a while is this true?

Paulip

RO is an excellent investment for your health, too.

Yep. no water change. But, maintain salinity. Nitrite spike will come almost like clockwork after the fifth week. The more stuff to process the more beneficial bacteria you'll have to start with. I actually tested it with a fat pinch of brown sugar. Water became cloudy after a few hours then crystal the next day. Did it two days in a row. Neat.

Evoixjohn

This is how mine looks,make sure your rock work isn't compact to much. Water flowing through out the tank is key for the jbj 45

Last edited: