Just a cool one for a Friday morning. . .

Herbie

Banned
they say they think like a 4 year old child and can learn by touch. I really think they would be the sapient creature on earth if their environment required them to adapt more.

nvdiz

There was a program on them on Discovery a few months ago and demonstrated they can learn through observation. I forgot what it was called, but I was pretty hooked.

Definitely a smart animal.

Herbie

Banned
There was a program on them on Discovery a few months ago and demonstrated they can learn through observation. I forgot what it was called, but I was pretty hooked.

Definitely a smart animal.
I was lucky enough to spend some time with Pauline and Mike Severns in Maui a few years ago. They had several small wild octos trained to do tasks for food and there were several more that already knew the tricks when they would show up day after day. It appears that they can learn by watching or touching one that has watched. Seeing them change colors and shape as they display to each other and blend in is absolutely amazing.

Freaky thought...
Given the potential trajectory of the current biomass on earth, probably still a possibility!! Very nice.