Just moved & combining 2 tanks into 1 large tank

Dkipp7

Ok, so i just moved and im going to setup up a larger tank, a 220. Right now i have a 40gal & 29gal. I have a bunch of live rock FULL of pods and tiny brittle stars that i want to save and put in the 220 to help cycle a little faster. but heres the catch, the is aptasia on the rocks and i dont want to transfer them to the new 220. Is there a way to kill off all the aptasia while keeping the rock live with good bacteria? Can i put all the rock in the sump or would the aptasia eventually travel up to the display? Im just looking to cycle the tank as quick as possible without causing any harm to my coral(mostly SPS) when i move them from my smaller tanks to the 220. Im keep my old tanks running at my dads house until i get the new tank cycled at my new house. What is the best way to attack this transfer?

ToddR

Could try Kalk paste, and hope that you get them all.

I am in a similar boat --- 75 and 40 breeder into a 210. I am going to pick the live rock that is buried under other rocks. Most of the 210 is already full of dry rock, so I won't be using a ton --- want to limit the pests but save some of the cool stuff.

I will also put some of the old rock into the sump --- easier to see/control pests.

Dkipp7

Could try Kalk paste, and hope that you get them all.

I am in a similar boat --- 75 and 40 breeder into a 210. I am going to pick the live rock that is buried under other rocks. Most of the 210 is already full of dry rock, so I won't be using a ton --- want to limit the pests but save some of the cool stuff.

I will also put some of the old rock into the sump --- easier to see/control pests.
I am constantly using paste to try and nuke them all but it a never ending battle lol. i think i might try to just put all my live rock in the sump and dry rock in the display and let the tank do its cycle. then pull all the live rock out of the sump and dry it to make sure all the aptasia is dead. Im just trying to get the tank to cycle as fast as possible, so i figure use that live rock for a little boost of the cycle and just hope no aptasia make it up to the display before i pull it all out to dry. i was also thinking of getting a buddys water from his waterchange and mine from my other tanks and using that to start cycling my tank with.anyone have thoughts on this?

ToddR

I am constantly using paste to try and nuke them all but it a never ending battle lol. i think i might try to just put all my live rock in the sump and dry rock in the display and let the tank do its cycle. then pull all the live rock out of the sump and dry it to make sure all the aptasia is dead. Im just trying to get the tank to cycle as fast as possible, so i figure use that live rock for a little boost of the cycle and just hope no aptasia make it up to the display before i pull it all out to dry. i was also thinking of getting a buddys water from his waterchange and mine from my other tanks and using that to start cycling my tank with.anyone have thoughts on this?
I can understand that.

Luckily for me, I am able to take my time --- the 210 has been running for over a month now, and the 75 is still up and running. Hopefully by mid-Feb it will be down.

Getting water from your buddy won't help. Very little to no bacteria is in the water column. Would be better off getting a small rock and/or a cup of sand.

Steve1986

It will travel from your sump. I also tried kalk and its a never ending battle. My tank was infested, the only thing that worked for me was a filefish . He cleared the tank in about a month. He's eating mysis now but as soon as one aphasia pops up, he's all over it.

anarchy

Ok, so i just moved and im going to setup up a larger tank, a 220. Right now i have a 40gal & 29gal. I have a bunch of live rock FULL of pods and tiny brittle stars that i want to save and put in the 220 to help cycle a little faster. but heres the catch, the is aptasia on the rocks and i dont want to transfer them to the new 220. Is there a way to kill off all the aptasia while keeping the rock live with good bacteria? Can i put all the rock in the sump or would the aptasia eventually travel up to the display? Im just looking to cycle the tank as quick as possible without causing any harm to my coral(mostly SPS) when i move them from my smaller tanks to the 220. Im keep my old tanks running at my dads house until i get the new tank cycled at my new house. What is the best way to attack this transfer?
+1 for peppermint shrimp for the aiptasia

Dkipp7

It will travel from your sump. I also tried kalk and its a never ending battle. My tank was infested, the only thing that worked for me was a filefish . He cleared the tank in about a month. He's eating mysis now but as soon as one aphasia pops up, he's all over it.
Ive read that filefish will nip/eat sps, and my tank is sps dominant.

As far as peppermint shrimp, pretty sure my eel would eat them. It doesnt mes with my cleaner shrimps or fire shrimp, but they are big.

reeftrinh

dont transfer the rock, take your time if you do not want aiptasia taking over your new tank. cook the rock! or get some berghia nudi branches and they will kill them. there are no shortcuts in reefing.