kalkwasser

pringles

i want to use the kalkwasser to top up ( i mean do i need the reactor ?.) . Anyone using this please share. thank

Lil BamBam

Premium member
I was using it with my ATO but not no more as my demand is not high.

Using a RKL..

Im not a big fan of using the float switch with Kalk.. I control mine with a timer to turn on every hour for 1min & 20 seconds with an alert of PH at 8.4 to turn off my aqua lifter.

Also have for back up incase evaporation is to much is my 1gal slim container from BRS controlled with a float switch..

This helped me

Greg

I use a reef octopus ks-100 stirrer. My autotopoff reservoir water goes through the stirrer and into the tank. Works great.
Im not a fan of mixers with pumps. You have to wait for it to settle. With a stirrer you can topoff at any time.

taylor t

I have a reactor for kalk, but Im currently just mixing it in my top off bucket. Ive used it both ways with good results. Years ago, my uncle had a 75 gallon he would dump a gallon of kalk water top off at a time. I would cringe at him doing it that way, but he never had a problem with it. I would add kalk water slowly with top off. If you use a float valve, and send kalk through the float valve, it WILL gum up and fail eventually. Kalk water builds up and likes to clog. good stuff, just keep an eye on it.

DB9181

Do you have a fuge/sump light? is it on 24/7 or at least a reverse cylce to your DT lights? If not, that may help keep it more stable.

ykh

My kalk dosing system is quite simple, just top off with kalk via tom aquarium aqua lifter pump and ATO switch.

kn240

I quit kalk. Calcium and ALK are always skyrocket 550+ ca and 14 dkh. ALthough it brings my ph to my liking range of 8.2-8.33. Corals are never happy. Been 2 months without it and Ca/alk are normal now with 450 and 8dkh. But my ph is 8.0 at the peak day, 7.8 at night. Well at least corals are happy now.

doubled50

On my old 75 I had a homemade reactor between the ato and the sump. The reactor stirred every hour for 2 minutes and topped off as needed. Worked great, corals loved the kalkwasser until something glitched and pure Kalk got dumped into my tank to create a milky consistency crashing the system.

I'm much more simple these days, I bought 2 part and never used it. With my current setup of a 20 tall no sump, I'm considering just getting calcium to dose 1 tablespoon mon, wed, fri and alkalinity tues, Thursday and Saturday with Sunday as my WC day of 25% using reef crystals.

This worked wonders in my old nano, amazing growth and happy corals. I also ran carbon to polish the water and a skilter from Rio.

Jason R

On my old 75 I had a homemade reactor between the ato and the sump. The reactor stirred every hour for 2 minutes and topped off as needed. Worked great, corals loved the kalkwasser until something glitched and pure Kalk got dumped into my tank to create a milky consistency crashing the system.
What did you do to get the kalk out? Complete water change?