Kessil or Radion?

charris24

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but here is a million and one.
I have a Kessil a160we with controller, love it and it looks great. It's on an elos mini, appx 20 gallons with a mixed reef planned.
But I am on the fence about getting a radion, and am wondering:
Is a radion xr30 too much light?
Also what would you choose the Kessil or either xr30 or xr15? And why.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charris24

Not a justifiable reason.
Impulse
Two pucks for less shadowing
The desire to constantly change things up.

You can choose, like I said...no good reason.

MMreef

Not a justifiable reason.
Impulse
Two pucks for less shadowing
The desire to constantly change things up.

You can choose, like I said...no good reason.

I'll throw another option then... GHL Mitras , if I was going to do LED fixture , that's the one i would choose. Better spread then Radion ( 6 pucks instead 2).

charris24

I'll throw another option then... GHL Mitras , if I was going to do LED fixture , that's the one i would choose. Better spread then Radion ( 6 pucks instead 2).
Dang, that thing has a price tag! My impulsion has a budget!

Paulip

It doesn't seem to be comparable. Kessil has it's proponents because of the compactness and simplicity which is in short supply for this hobby. However, two things I have read.

1) You can't dim down Kessil to moonlight level.
2) Radion are much more versatile having several bulbs. ie UV Led bulb.

I am actually interested in the comparison with Radion XR15 and AI Prime.

Sorry, if that throws things on a tangent. However, I think it is worth your consideration. The peripheral features add up. And, all the firmware is accessible via WIFI. Expansion method makes technical sense with the parent/child configurations. Who knows what features could come up? I think you can already program the exact parameters of different coral reefs around the world (or follow them in realtime? Crazy!).

Also, you can check out "Bryan's Cadlights" thread using those lights.

Last edited:

charris24

The spectral controller makes the control of the light easy and dim make to moonlight.
It doesn't have the ability that other lights do and that is why I am on the fence about.

reefcartel

Reasons why i chose Kessil 360s. Dusk to dawn settings, Adjustable intensity, spectrum. Dimming capabilities and the main reason for me is that SHIMMER :)

Lay

I pick the xr15w pro for my jbj 45 and love it so far only in day 5 of owing it

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk