Larger tank purchase... where to purchase?

caragol

So I'm looking to pick up an 8' tank. I was going to go glass, dimensions basically the same as a 180g but with an extra two feet of length (96 x 24 x 25, 240g). Glasscages.com has one, and I know there are a lot of opinions on them (feel free to tell me yours).

Does anyone local order 8' tanks around here? Are there other manufacturers I should be considering? Any advice on this front?

-Anthony

Ive had good luck with smaller tanks from glass cages, never know anyone personally with a larger tank from them.

If acrylic is an option truvu has some of the best prices ive come across on 8 footers on their website and they are great people to deal with.
Alot of reef shops use them for store displays. Have one tank thats at least 20 years old and still looks good.

riv

Premium member
Not sure how far u wanna drive but Aquatica carries tanks or can order u one. I would call and ask Mario.

bryman

Guys, I don't have any personal experience, but have heard horror stories from forums as well as the owner of Advanced Aquatics. He told me that GlassCages doesn't even warranty their tanks to hold water. They are meant for reptiles. He told me about a guy that ordered 40 100G tanks from them, and 22 failed within a few years.

I'd stay far away if I were you. If you can spend the money I've heard great things about ReefSavvy and Miracles tanks.

edsbeaker

I got mine from Great Lakes Aquarium, and am happy with it and very well made. The price was very reasonable, but the shipping is expensive. It may be worth a drive to pick it up, though. They are about 5 hrs away outside of Detroit Michigan.

I think you'll see the prices of Great lakes is not that far off from glass cages, and there is NO comparison! There are a few pictures on Page 4 of my build thread below if you're interested in seeing their work.

Guys, I don't have any personal experience, but have heard horror stories from forums as well as the owner of Advanced Aquatics. He told me that GlassCages doesn't even warranty their tanks to hold water. They are meant for reptiles. He told me about a guy that ordered 40 100G tanks from them, and 22 failed within a few years.

I'd stay far away if I were you. If you can spend the money I've heard great things about ReefSavvy and Miracles tanks.
My tank is from Glasscages and I have nothing but great things to say about their prices, employees and delivery. I also know for a fact that Brookfield Zoo uses them as well.

DD

"Rambo"
Matt at Sho Tank can order you a large tank and customize it to your specifications. He's doing two huge tanks right now. One's a 300, the other a 350 with starphire front glass panel. I believe they're both for customers, but I'm sure he can get you one as well.

William Lutman

Matt at Sho Tank can order you a large tank and customize it to your specifications. He's doing two huge tanks right now. One's a 300, the other a 350 with starphire front glass panel. I believe they're both for customers, but I'm sure he can get you one as well.
+1 for Matt and he uses Glass Cages

caragol

I would love an excuse to get up to ShoTank. Never been there but have heard exclusively good things. I spoke to Tom at Aquascapes, I left him a voicemail letting him know not to worry about calling me back, but that I would send an email he could reply to when he gets a chance. Then he called me back and we spoke for 15 solid minutes. Great guy, great service. I didn't even know his shop existed but it's not too far away from me. I think I'll try him first then head to ShoTank just because it's time and everyone gushes about Matt. I've seen those cabinets on the ShoTank posts too, outstanding. I don't need a cabinet, but this is a big basement, I might not stop at one tank.