Leak in sump return

I drilled my 29 g biocube with a 1 inch drain and 3/4 inch return as suggested by others on here.

I filled the tank and realized that I have a small leak on the 90 degree elbow thread on my return. Is there a way to patch this or a putty I can use (rather than cutting it apart) to seal this? Everything is glued and running.

Thanks!

anarchy

If it's the threads then undo the nut on the bulkhead and unscrew the bulkhead from the 90 and add a bead of silicone to the threads and reinstall. If it's on a slip you can shut the pump off clean the pipe and try adding more glue around the connection and that may stop it or try adding a bead of silicone

View attachment 12255

Unfortunately, its the 90 elbow threading into the bulkhead. I can't unscrew it because I have it glued the pvc going to the return pump. I would rather not have to cut and start over if possible. Thanks again for all the help.

anarchy

View attachment 12255

Unfortunately, its the 90 elbow threading into the bulkhead. I can't unscrew it because I have it glued the pvc going to the return pump. I would rather not have to cut and start over if possible. Thanks again for all the help.
You should be able to loosen the nut and twist the bulkhead not the pipe and the bulkhead will unscrew and push into the tank. The only thing holding the bulkhead in place is the nut

jrpark22000

Premium member
You should be able to loosen the nut and twist the bulkhead not the pipe and the bulkhead will unscrew and push into the tank. The only thing holding the bulkhead in place is the nut[/QUOTE]

+1. I also always use a gob of silicone to seal threads vs using thread tape for all tank fittings. Its more forgiving.

superfish

i think if you dont want to unscrew. your best bet would be silicone. but that way you need to wait at least 24 hours before running water again.
to me, i would just cut, redone the leaking part and gule back on. in that way, you only need to wait maybe 10,15 mins.

Thanks to all of the help on here, I now have the leak situation solved.

Now I have another issue, the drain to my sump is moving faster than the pump can return the water, which is causing the level to drop below the bulkhead creating a "slurp."
Any suggestions how to fix this?

Using a Mag 5 for the return pump, 1 inch drain, 3/4 inch return.

View attachment 12269

wld1783

If its just a very small leak, salt will eventually fill it. You will kust have to live with it for awhile replacing towels.

If you can drain the water so there is no leak, Plumbers Goop Rocks...

Bill