LED light for 20G?

James_G

I dont know much about LED's, but I like the look of them along with using less power and producing less heat. I really want to make the switch from my 24" T5 lights because its almost time to replace the bulbs.

Can someone please give me some advise on if I should by a complete setup or should I do it myself. Also, The tank is 24"X12"X16.5", How many LEDs should I look for in my setup and which kinds?

How often do you replace them?

Thank you all in advance!

WeePee

it all comes down to what your budget is.
there are a lot of great fixtures or bulbs out there, or you can always make your own.

imo get 1-2 Ecoxotic Par38 bulbs.
ill be using 2 of them on a frag tank and can let ya know more about them once its up and running.

FishBeard

I agree, a pair of Par38's would be the quick and easy way to upgrade to LED over such a small tank. If you end up wanting to DIY a kit, id suggest a 12w/12b or 10w/14b ratio, with two dimmable drivers (the meanwell eln-60-48d can run up to 14 3w 750mW leds each), and a long narrow heatsink something like 4x12, or two small heatsinks in the 5" square range. if you keep the arrangement simple and equally spaced, you can keep the fixture around 4-12" from the water surface and not need to spend extra on optics to tighten the beam angle like if you hung the fixtures higher up.

Catran

Check out ReefLedLights.com
Not only do they have DIY kits, but they sell solderless kits and great intructions for DIY!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FishBeard

You can also look at RapidLED.com as a good alternative to ReefLEDLights.com if you want CREE LEDS. Otherwise there are a lot of sites that sell Bridgelux LEDs that are cheaper in cost, and just about as effective as the CREE ones are.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Not only do they have DIY kits, but they sell solderless kits and great intructions for DIY!

Yea, talk to Bill (he's local in Park Ridge) and he can advise you on what options you have for your tank regarding a DIY project. I talked to him a while ago before they started selling the solderless kits. If I wasn't picking up new MH's tonight I'd be calling him back.

Catran

Yea, talk to Bill (he's local in Park Ridge) and he can advise you on what options you have for your tank regarding a DIY project. I talked to him a while ago before they started selling the solderless kits. If I wasn't picking up new MH's tonight I'd be calling him back.
Local? I didn't know that. Cool, I heard someone talk about an LED manufacturer nearby at a CMAS meeting but never heard where... Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Yep, he works from his home, however he is also a fulltime airline pilot so he isn't always available to chat. I've spoken with him and he's very knowledgable and friendly.