Leds and t5

willtheld

Anyone running t5 along with their leds? I’m thinking of adding a 2 bulb retrofit t5-ho along side my 2 radions for my 90 sps dominate tank.

I’d love to hear what your running and why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultimatemj

I run both (4 AI26HDs & 2 T5 ATI Blue+). From a power perspective, my 55g tank only needs 2 AI26s, but my hood puts the AI26s 4" above the water...resulting in "hot spots" and "shadows". Even w/ 4 AI26s I wasn't "filling the glass box", so I added the T5s. The LEDs ramp from 10% to 50% to 10%, from 7:30am to 9pm. The T5s run from 11am to 3pm. Works great! Only issue is coralline algae grows aggressively (absorbing Alk and needing scrapped weekly).

View attachment 23530

Horrible phone pics, but it shows the "end to end fill" and PITA coralline algae :playball:
View attachment 23535

GugsJr

TeamCR
I'm in the process of adding 4 t5s to my radions.

Just making the bracket for the t5 fixture

I went with 4 blue plus to go with my ab+ settings

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cammunoz

I run both (4 AI26HDs & 2 T5 ATI Blue+). From a power perspective, my 55g tank only needs 2 AI26s, but my hood puts the AI26s 4" above the water...resulting in "hot spots" and "shadows". Even w/ 4 AI26s I wasn't "filling the glass box", so I added the T5s. The LEDs ramp from 10% to 50% to 10%, from 7:30am to 9pm. The T5s run from 11am to 3pm. Works great! Only issue is coralline algae grows aggressively (absorbing Alk and needing scrapped weekly).

View attachment 23530

Horrible phone pics, but it shows the "end to end fill" and PITA coralline algae :playball:
View attachment 23535
Awesome tank how did you mount them!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GugsJr

TeamCR
Got mine installed on Sunday. Must say it really makes the colors pop

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ultimatemj

The T5s are the retro fit kit from BRS, and i added 3/4” wood ledge/strips front and back. The AI26s have aluminum bars that rest in the ledges, which lets them slide left/right as needed.

Here’s an upside down pic from the original Hydras...

Last edited:

willtheld

Thanks guys! I ended up purchasing the 2 bulb dimmable retro kit from brs. I picked up a purple+ and a blue+. They arrived yesterday and I’m flying back today. I need this pilot to put the afterburners on so I can get home quicker to them!