LEDs : Black Box vs Radions

sh0tyme83

I watched this too. Very good information but I still think they should've done a more realistic comparison. $100 light vs an $800 light... come on... That's like trying to compare a Kia to a bentley. I really think it would've been better if they compared the BB to say an AI Hydra or something around the $400 price range. I don't see too many reefers buying an $800 light but I see alot buying a $300 to $400 light. (AI Hydra, Kessil, etc..)

I just got my BB from Amazon the same day they posted this. I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INM0J1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far, it seems to be working pretty good. I mean yea the not having a ramp up, ramp down sucks but I'm sure my corals don't care about that. Also, I can see why there is a hot spot in the middle. The middle only has blue and whites, all the other colors are on the outside of the fixture so I wonder if that has something to do with BRS' findings. I'm interested to see if this light is going to grow coral though since I specifically bought it to put it over a frag tank.

GugsJr

TeamCR
I have the radion XR30W (controlled by my Apex) on my 120 and I used to have the DIY Rapid LED kit for my 120 (controlled by Reef Angel) with these two I had coral growth, but the radion out performs the DIY kit and the adjust-ability on the radion compared to the Rapid LED is not even close. Not to mention it's a cleaner look. I have both lights adjusted to the same intensity.

I'm curious on how your frag tank does with the manual adjustments. I really enjoy the ramp effect on both lights, not sure if I could give that up. I'm sure it doesn't matter to the corals either way since MH or T5s never had that ability.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I watched this too. Very good information but I still think they should've done a more realistic comparison. $100 light vs an $800 light... come on... That's like trying to compare a Kia to a bentley. I really think it would've been better if they compared the BB to say an AI Hydra or something around the $400 price range. I don't see too many reefers buying an $800 light but I see alot buying a $300 to $400 light. (AI Hydra, Kessil, etc..)

I just got my BB from Amazon the same day they posted this. I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INM0J1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far, it seems to be working pretty good. I mean yea the not having a ramp up, ramp down sucks but I'm sure my corals don't care about that. Also, I can see why there is a hot spot in the middle. The middle only has blue and whites, all the other colors are on the outside of the fixture so I wonder if that has something to do with BRS' findings. I'm interested to see if this light is going to grow coral though since I specifically bought it to put it over a frag tank.

I do like the Galaxyhydro. I had a problem with mine but I think it was just a lemon. I would order this fixture again; EXCELLENT customer service when I contacted them.

sh0tyme83

I do like the Galaxyhydro. I had a problem with mine but I think it was just a lemon. I would order this fixture again; EXCELLENT customer service when I contacted them.
That's good to know. It says it's 25% brighter than the other fixtures which is why I chose it. Do you remember what your settings where? Mine is only over a 20 gallon tank so I was going to go 50%-60% blue and like 15-20% white.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
That's good to know. It says it's 25% brighter than the other fixtures which is why I chose it. Do you remember what your settings where? Mine is only over a 20 gallon tank so I was going to go 50%-60% blue and like 15-20% white.
My blues were around 50% but I think my whites were closer to 25/30 %.

CienFuegos

Premium member
MJ is helping fix my AI sols. If he's not able to get them to work. I might go this these lights since I know he and Vic have had sucsss with those lights

GugsJr

TeamCR
If you'd like to setup your lights like they have in the coral lab SPS AB+ setting. This is how I have my DT and Frag tank setup and I've been really impressed.

You'd need to setup up your blues to 100% and whites to 24%, the only thing I don't know if you can control the intensity with those.

If you want more info : Coral Lab

#theMatrix

Like stunners or rapid led strips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like taking the blue LED on a black box putting them on an aluminum heatsink bat with 180 optics and it looks amazing color saturation. For viewing of course. I'm sure it doesn't do anything for growth. Just eye candy.

Growth wise. T5 here

CienFuegos

Premium member
Like taking the blue LED on a black box putting them on an aluminum heatsink bat with 180 optics and it looks amazing color saturation. For viewing of course. I'm sure it doesn't do anything for growth. Just eye candy.

Growth wise. T5 here
I have t5s and keep going back and forth on which way I'd like to go. T5s have great growth but would so miss the shimmer that the LEDs have

#theMatrix

I have t5s and keep going back and forth on which way I'd like to go. T5s have great growth but would so miss the shimmer that the LEDs have

Honestly I don't miss the shimmer. But I keep the led on for an hour at night for viewing.

Tgunz127

Anybody have a link for these black box lights ? The link on the first page expired? Need something for 93g cube