leds

FishBeard

They are really pretty equal in efficiency : price. Just use good name brand drivers with whichever you choose and be sure to adjust the drivers properly for the voltage required for the LEDs wired to them.

The reefer

Go with Cree LEDs. I have them on my tank and my sps have great color and growth. Ive read also that bridgelux doesn't have the same 2:1 ratio as the cree. But I'm not sure. If u want more info contact bill from reefledlights.com he knows his stuff on LEDs and he is local.

FishBeard

I would think talking with bill wouldn't be in your best interest as he is obviously going to push the Cree LEDs since that's what he sells. If you want a more neutral unbiased opinion, talk with Gus (Badgus) as he has experience working with several manufacturers LEDs and is not personally invested in one brand or another. He's doing his own line of lights now, but I think he will still give you a fair opinion on what to use if you are going to DIY your own light.

BADGUS

Reefer: what you are referring to is a ratio,has nothing to do with led performance or color.The difference between cree and bridgelux is their backgrounds.Neither company has invested in aquarium use,so it is up to us reefers to experiment.My personal experience with the leds is as follows:

Cree leds are built with high quality components and are very consistent with their bins.Their cost is what prevents most of the reefers from using them.Their royal blues don't ''POP'' colors as much as the bridgelux royal blue.

Bridgelux:
I have used bridgelux more than Cree brand due to lower cost and higher light output measured under an apogee PAR meter.They are a very well built led unit and offer great selection of spectrum aswell as the best royal blue spectrum of any brand led.

You can't go wrong with either brand.I'm personally launching my own line of fixtures and will primarily use bridgelux brand with an option for Cree for a higher cost.

Hope my insight helps.

The reefer

Good info Gus. And I didn't mean the ratio would affect the performance it's just finding the balance in LEDs for it. But like I said I only read that. I guess it all depends what reefers like in there tank.

For the OP:From my experience I've had Cree LEDs since day one and everything is looking awesome. But in the end it's really what u want to put over ur tank. Good luck with the decision.

nvdiz

^^^ I've had the new apollos for a little over 3 weeks and love them.

Haven't seen any new growth in my acros, but that was expected since I'm still in the process of acclimating. My birdnests though, are definitely exploding though.

Color, Most of my coral have held their color, however a few bleached. Those that did are definitely still alive, but they lost some color. Again, this was expected.

FYI, Apollo uses Bridgelux.