LFS vs Online retailers

ColaAddict

I agree with Jake. There is nothing wrong with what the OP was griping about. We all talk smack about some stores, why cant he? He is posting his own opinions, not Old Town's. Actually I think the OP is pretty smart and makes me want to stop by Old Town. Ive never been there before. It's totally wrong to say that youll stop going there because an employee is posting his opinion here, which is right in some ways, and he's mentioned numerous times that he is not speaking for the store.

Cubbies

I simply don't understand why people would say "after this post I won't come to that store". Why? Are you guilty of the crime?
I don't think it's guilt. I believe and this is how I kind of see is that the way this thread was presented made me feel like there is people that I wouldn't want to deal with working there. I personally didn't like how things came out. If he would've been a little more non personalized to the store it probably wouldn't have been such a big deal imo. But when you start bashing such great vendors such as F&S and other members on their purchases(MI) and start braging on how "Old Town is better" that makes me just not want to deal with you. Wheter it would've been said here or some other business would have said it. He says he is not shilling but he clearly is. And nothing bad with it. It's just when you have the stores name as your username and you keep on braging about the store its kinda like :suicide: Well I'm done with this thread. . . on with my life :smokin:

jcarlilesiu

I personally didn't like how things came out. If he would've been a little more non personalized to the store it probably wouldn't have been such a big deal imo. But when you start bashing such great vendors such as F&S and other members on their purchases(MI) and start braging on how "Old Town is better" that makes me just not want to deal with you.
Valid points.

BADGUS

I'm sure old town loses alot of livestock thru-out the year when it gets delivered aswell.I'm sure you guys don't have a dedicated wholesaler exclusive to Old Town,so in the end we all get our fish thru the mail one way or another.

bennyblanco

Well, this has been an interesting thread to follow. Here's my $0.02....

First off, Old town is a very nice store in a great neighborhood. I've purchased both dry and livestock goods from them. I actually bought my blue tang from Old Town. Which according to some that a no-no since I have a 65 gallon tank. It was sold to me with no questions about tank size etc. but that is just as much on me as them. I could have taken the time to EDUCATE MYSELF about this animals needs and I think this is where LiveAquaria really does a great job compared to other online sellers. They list all of the animals need (min tank size, water conditions, diet, compatibility, etc.) and if one of these requirements isn't meet then it's our responsibility to find an animal that you can keep within the environment that we’ve created. I've purchased both of my tangs at LFS and no one bothered to educate me or did I educate myself. It will be a sad day if /when I have to rehome them since I didn’t take the time to educate myself. I also know of two poor cleaner shrimps that died because I didn't read up on hawk fish to find out they will eat them. My wife won't let me live that one down….

As far as buying dried goods in a LFS I think that is totally up to the buyer as well. And really may the best seller win. It’s a tough economy out there and I like to save some bucks. It's pretty nice to not have to leave my house, sit in traffic, and pay for parking when I can receive my bulbs, salt, etc on my doorstep. And then there are times that I will stop in at a LFS to see what they have in and pick up some dry goods to help support them.

One thing that a LFS does have going for themselves verses an online seller is the ability to meet face to face with its clients and form a relationship. It feels good with walk into a store and see a familiar face. Maybe try giving back to the hobbyists that you say were sprung from your store. I for one am very excited to go up to Midwest Coral Farms for next weekend’s Holiday party. What a great way value your clients! Try to figure out a way to join the community. To be honest there are times that I forget that Old Town is even around and I live a few miles away…..

We all have different opinions on this topic but at least we can agree on one thing…….Reef keeping is neat.

Tethered_Limbs

Well, this has been an interesting thread to follow. Here's my $0.02....

First off, Old town is a very nice store in a great neighborhood. I've purchased both dry and livestock goods from them. I actually bought my blue tang from Old Town. Which according to some that a no-no since I have a 65 gallon tank. It was sold to me with no questions about tank size etc. but that is just as much on me as them. I could have taken the time to EDUCATE MYSELF about this animals needs and I think this is where LiveAquaria really does a great job compared to other online sellers. They list all of the animals need (min tank size, water conditions, diet, compatibility, etc.) and if one of these requirements isn't meet then it's our responsibility to find an animal that you can keep within the environment that we?ve created. I've purchased both of my tangs at LFS and no one bothered to educate me or did I educate myself. It will be a sad day if /when I have to rehome them since I didn?t take the time to educate myself. I also know of two poor cleaner shrimps that died because I didn't read up on hawk fish to find out they will eat them. My wife won't let me live that one down?.

As far as buying dried goods in a LFS I think that is totally up to the buyer as well. And really may the best seller win. It?s a tough economy out there and I like to save some bucks. It's pretty nice to not have to leave my house, sit in traffic, and pay for parking when I can receive my bulbs, salt, etc on my doorstep. And then there are times that I will stop in at a LFS to see what they have in and pick up some dry goods to help support them.

One thing that a LFS does have going for themselves verses an online seller is the ability to meet face to face with its clients and form a relationship. It feels good with walk into a store and see a familiar face. Maybe try giving back to the hobbyists that you say were sprung from your store. I for one am very excited to go up to Midwest Coral Farms for next weekend?s Holiday party. What a great way value your clients! Try to figure out a way to join the community. To be honest there are times that I forget that Old Town is even around and I live a few miles away?..

We all have different opinions on this topic but at least we can agree on one thing??.Reef keeping is neat.
nuff said