LFS vs Online retailers

SkullV

On top end livestock Old Town is almost ALWAYS cheaper than the online retailer. They will also not sell you livestock which is not appropriate for your tank which is nice.

To be honest some of the dry goods are grossly overpriced, but I understand that being that they have to stay open when an out of state vendor will sell the stuff cheaper and tax free. I've bought salt at Old Town for $90 a bucket twice now when I needed it in a pinch and didn't regret it one second.

Old Town Aquarium built reefing in this city and should be rewarded for it with our business. Hell my dad bought me my first freshwater chiclid there when I was 2 years old. He was AMAZED when I told him that I bought my first saltwater fish there and that they were still around.

HecticZ

Ok I a have some problems with this thread, I could imagine how our SUPPORTING sponsors could feel. Especially since some of them are online stores.

Especially since you work at Old Town Aquarium, and your screen name is OldTownJoe. Not a supporter of this site. You have to understand by you saying you work there and your screen name. You know represent that store to some of us.

And for someone to talk bad about their competition on a public site could come with some legal issues, like defamation. So if you dont want to get Old Town Aquarium in trouble I would change my screen name. And you can be another average Joe, no pun intended.

Hope this makes some sense, forgive me if it doesn't. I just had a six pack of GumballHead

HecticZ

I try to usually always help out our local business whether its for Fis, Beers, etc

My LFS is always there when I need them and I will support them for that.

SkullV

No to wha?
No your statement is incorrect. He has made it clear that his views are not those of Old Town Aquarium. He is also entitled to any opinion of online vendors he wants provided that he is not asserting them as factual evidence of an online vendors business model.

HecticZ

No your statement is incorrect. He has made it clear that his views are not those of Old Town Aquarium. He is also entitled to any opinion of online vendors he wants provided that he is not asserting them as factual evidence of an online vendors business model.
Yes I know that he said that his views are his and not Old Towns, but in my mind he is already associated with Old Town Aquarium. I had a feeling he worked for Old Town just by reading his screen name. So unfortunately his views are associated with Old Town Aquarium.

I know if I was an online store, and I was supporting this site I would not like to see threads like these. Especially from someone who works in the industry.

SkullV

Yes I know that he said that his views are his and not Old Towns, but in my mind he is already associated with Old Town Aquarium. I had a feeling he worked for Old Town just by reading his screen name. So unfortunately his views are associated with Old Town Aquarium.

I know if I was an online store, and I was supporting this site I would not like to see threads like these. Especially from someone who works in the industry.
That does not equate to a suit for defamation (libel).

HecticZ

I will contiune to support my LFS, in my area. However, after reading this from the OP, I'm less likely to visit that store in the future.

I respect your opinion, and your ability to post it, but your are a representative of a wonderful LFS and I would expect more responsability about comments of other retailers or online merchants, in front of current or prospective customers. While far from perfect, in my professional life, I never say anything negative about my competitors. I strive to add more value, better customer service and a personal touch to win my clients business.

My worthless $.02.
I could not agree anymore

I used to go to Old Town Aquarium but after reading this I will never step a foot inside again.

OldTownJoe

I used to go to Old Town Aquarium but after reading this I will never step a foot inside again.
My apologies to anyone who may have felt offended by this topic. I was merely trying to highlight an oft overlooked issue in this hobby. I feel passionately about the well-being of the animals we care for as aquarists, and I don't think online vendors have a positive impact when it comes to that. This is, once again, just my opinion and not that of my employer.

Clearly speaking my mind on here will only get me in trouble, so I bid you adieu. My contributions to this forum are over.

HecticZ

My apologies to anyone who may have felt offended by this topic. I was merely trying to highlight an oft overlooked issue in this hobby. I feel passionately about the well-being of the animals we care for as aquarists, and I don't think online vendors have a positive impact when it comes to that. This is, once again, just my opinion and not that of my employer.

Clearly speaking my mind on here will only get me in trouble, so I bid you adieu. My contributions to this forum are over.
You dont have to leave, maybe change your Screen Name. So no one can associates you with Old Town.

You could be a good asset to this site, with your experience.

BADGUS

No need to leave the site,you have your opinion as we all do,it does not reflect the store's opinion just your own,will it affect some of us from going there?Maybe,maybe not.I for one will still stop in from time to time when i'm in the neighborhood.Plus it's nice to have LFS' involved in posting all the diff goodies they come across and the rarities they collect on occasion.

fredfish13

back on topic. i usually buy my equipment on-line. most LFS don't carry alot of it. And if they do, it is way overpriced. Food and livestock I buy in my LFS. I want to see it in person.
For my FW tanks, I also have gone to fish swaps and bought livestock and equipment.
Really, I would love to see things in person instead of a picture. If there is a not a BIG price difference, I would definitely love to go to my LFS and get it. Then I can window shop as well.

Halcon

Agree, no reason to leave. You express your opinion, we express ours, that is the great thing about the forums.

Cubbies

I wouldn't say leave. I guess just the way you came out. I didn't want to comment but in a way you made Old Town look bad. I have never been to your store and after seeing you rant and rant it made me not want to ever go into the store. I would say just to watch how WE say things. That goes to everybody. Yes we all know it's an expensive hobby to have and maintain but at the same time not ALL of us can afford some pricing. YES there is SOME that can but there's some that can't. Some of us do this hobby for the love of it not because we got money flowing out our pockets. My .02 for the day I guess.....

jcarlilesiu

I am not sure why so many people see any issue with a business having an issue with being "used".

We have all heard the horror stories that uneducated LFS employees provide, or worse when they provide inaccurate or mis-leading information to make a sale.

When stores take the time to ensure that they hire educated employees with experience and knowledge, the cost of the stores overhead, and sub-subsequently their prices go up.

Thus, its a legitimate grip when a store sees people come in, use their knowledge to make a decision and then go elsewhere to make the purchase. Stores that take the time, and are dedicated to the hobby, should have every right to complain about being used for their knowledge by consumers that never had any intent in buying there.

I simply don't understand why people would say "after this post I won't come to that store". Why? Are you guilty of the crime?

SkullV

:dirol:
I am not sure why so many people see any issue with a business having an issue with being "used".

We have all heard the horror stories that uneducated LFS employees provide, or worse when they provide inaccurate or mis-leading information to make a sale.

When stores take the time to ensure that they hire educated employees with experience and knowledge, the cost of the stores overhead, and sub-subsequently their prices go up.

Thus, its a legitimate grip when a store sees people come in, use their knowledge to make a decision and then go elsewhere to make the purchase. Stores that take the time, and are dedicated to the hobby, should have every right to complain about being used for their knowledge by consumers that never had any intent in buying there.

I simply don't understand why people would say "after this post I won't come to that store". Why? Are you guilty of the crime?
Exactly.

SkullV

Certainly don't leave, then you let them win. Your opinion is not only valuable, but entirely correct in my mind.

BADGUS

Many good points in this thread,I think we all can relate and understand the griping,It's the way businesses operate in our day and age tho,that cannot be changed.Maybe it's time to implement a new strategy on Old Town's behalf?Have internet only sales/pricing?Have a customer get the fish pictured at internet only price,pay for it online,then come to the store and pick it up?I'd totally be down for anything like that around here!