Lighting discussion for my upgrade

anarchy

So in preparation for my upgrade I need everything planned out way ahead of time. The tank will be a 180 so for lighting it's going to be 3 250w halides and 4 t5 bulbs. Never had t5s so what I need to know is should I do 54w or 80w. Here's a picture of the retro t5 kit I'll be getting

madjoe

Premium member
Man to bad they dont have the t12 vhos any more those would kick azz with some halides . Idk that seems like alot of more for two bulb t5 maybe find a used fixture and gut it make your own

anarchy

Man to bad they dont have the t12 vhos any more those would kick azz with some halides . Idk that seems like alot of more for two bulb t5 maybe find a used fixture and gut it make your own
Built in ballast and led moonlights. I had 2 t12 super actinic setup with these halides back on my 120 but when I got rid of my 4ft tank then I traded those for some sps

madjoe

Premium member
Built in ballast and led moonlights. I had 2 t12 super actinic setup with these halides back on my 120 but when I got rid of my 4ft tank then I traded those for some sps
Yea i saw that but moon lights r cheap not saying its bad idea just saying might be able to find cheaper . Those super attincs were killer werent they

anarchy

Yea i saw that but moon lights r cheap not saying its bad idea just saying might be able to find cheaper . Those super attincs were killer werent they
I didn't have sps back then but made my colors pop. I like the height of the fixture. Allows me to basically plug and play and the bulbs will basically be the same height as my halides. Just curious if the 54 or 80w would be better

madjoe

Premium member
I didn't have sps back then but made my colors pop. I like the height of the fixture. Allows me to basically plug and play and the bulbs will basically be the same height as my halides. Just curious if the 54 or 80w would be better
Depends oh how easy to get bulbs really 54w r pretty available dont see many places carry the 80w . Longer would be better coverage though

anarchy

Depends oh how easy to get bulbs really 54w r pretty available dont see many places carry the 80w . Longer would be better coverage though
54w it is. May add some led strips if coverage is bad but with 966w of lighting I think it'll be okay

madjoe

Premium member
54w it is. May add some led strips if coverage is bad but with 966w of lighting I think it'll be okay
U will definitly be getting one those comed letters about your neighbors r 99 percent more efficient then u lol

maidia

Team CR
Buy 2 DIY led strips like [MENTION=1217]madjoe[/MENTION] you will be happy..Those DIY strips look nice and small...

wld1783

Have you considered going primary LEDs?

I guy I know in Kansas had his house raided at 1AM. The warrant implicated he was growing something illegal in the basement. The SWAT Team found a coral farm with 6 400 watt MHs.

When I switched I lowered the heat in my house significantly and dropped the electrical cost by $300 a month in the summer and $150 in the winter.

Here is a pic of my 570 Mixed.

Bill

anarchy

Have you considered going primary LEDs?

I guy I know in Kansas had his house raided at 1AM. The warrant implicated he was growing something illegal in the basement. The SWAT Team found a coral farm with 6 400 watt MHs.

When I switched I lowered the heat in my house significantly and dropped the electrical cost by $300 a month in the summer and $150 in the winter.

Here is a pic of my 570 Mixed.

Bill
I've looked into it quite a few times. They just don't do it for me like a power hungry halide. Right now my electric bill isn't bad at all. But I'm sure once I get a big tank that needs 400w halides then I'll switch

wld1783

I still like the 400 watt Radium on an HQI Ballast. Its what I started with along with 420nm and 50/50 VHOs.

I dont think I'll go back as with a controller I can dim each channel to tweak the looks perfectly. Having a natural sunrise and sunset, its cool to watch the last hour as different fish and organisms slowly enter their night cycle.

Bill

ColaAddict

I'm buying Lumen bright reflectors (Large 20x20") from a guy in R2R. He still has 3 left. use 3 and should cover your tank without supplemental lights.