Lighting for 65 gallon softies tank

Wolf74

It's been awhile since I have had to purchase aquarium lighting and it's a little overwhelming looking at selections.

I recently purchased a 65 gallon (36 inch) tank. Love the size and think it will make an awesome DT. I am looking for mainly a softies tank so do not need to go overboard with the lighting. Something that will grow zoas, hammers, acans, ricordia and things like that.

I am not looking to spend a fortune. Have noticed that LED's are all the rage now so think I might try going that route. There are just so many variations and types out there. Where do you start and how do you make a final decision without screwing it up? I have read a bunch of forums but most people want full on reef's with SPS. Not easy to find forums just for softies.

Any insight would help.

Thanks

ninjamyst

Premium member
If you got the $$, Kessil, AI, and Radion are the big players. On a budget, AquaMaxx got pretty good reviews. $200 for 36-48 fixture. Current USA Orbit Marine Pro is good too.

Pawel

Premium member
Ocean Revive T-247-b will do the job. It's only about $170 and you will need only one light.

Wolf74

Pawel That Ocean Revive looks nice. The 65 has a center brace though. Would this block out some of the light?

Pawel

Premium member
Pawel That Ocean Revive looks nice. The 65 has a center brace though. Would this block out some of the light?
When I had center brace on my 72g I cut it out so I could use current USA lights. It did not effect the tank.

Wolf74

Those do look nice. Did not want to cut out my center brace though. I ended up going with two Kessil a160we's with controller. Got a great deal and think this will work out pretty good if I want to do some more tougher corals in the future. Thanks everyone