Lighting for a JBJ 12g nano.

Cubbies

I have a 12 Gallon JBJ nano cube sitting around. I think I want to make a nice little Zoanthid tank out of it. I want to take the hood off as it is just fluorescent lighting. Now I don't think there is T5s for that size tank. It is roughly 15.5" wide. In all honestly I don't like LEDs as I don't think they have done justice for themselves and think they wash everything out but I think I might want to experiment in this little tank with something inexpensive since it will be small. What is there out there. I probably want dimmable and 2 separate switches or a control. What do you guys think. I know there is a couple LED vendors on here maybe you guys can advice something. Dre this would be experimental!(He knows what I'm talking about) :der:

helitaiwan963

My 12g nanocube with the stock 2x24w PC lighting grows all my zoas and palys fine... Not much stretch on the polyps at all even on the sand bed... If you want, when i pick up that rainbow monti, I have a spare hood that has a DIY ballast that works well you can have or trade for the frag ;) It's got the plugs for the PC lights already so u can just mod your stock hood for 4x24w PC and I'm sure you're gonna have more than enough for a zoa tank. My hammer has grown a lot under my stock lighting as well. I've been wanting to do the 4 bulb mod myself but been too lazy and everythings been growing so i just left it. 4 50/50 PC bulbs would be great as far as color as well.

-Eric

Cubbies

My 12g nanocube with the stock 2x24w PC lighting grows all my zoas and palys fine... Not much stretch on the polyps at all even on the sand bed... If you want, when i pick up that rainbow monti, I have a spare hood that has a DIY ballast that works well you can have or trade for the frag ;) It's got the plugs for the PC lights already so u can just mod your stock hood for 4x24w PC and I'm sure you're gonna have more than enough for a zoa tank. My hammer has grown a lot under my stock lighting as well. I've been wanting to do the 4 bulb mod myself but been too lazy and everythings been growing so i just left it. 4 50/50 PC bulbs would be great as far as color as well.

-Eric
Interesting indeed. The hood I have was also retrofitted so it only has one switch with a huge ballast for some reason. I really want to try a small version of LEDs though. Nothing against anyone but I just don't like PCs! Thanks for the offer though! I like the colors they throw out just don't trust em yet! lol

helitaiwan963

Hehe, i feel ya. I was skeptical at first, but i just change the bulbs every 6 months to some cheapy ebay 50/50 (12k white, actinic) bulbs and they do great. But mines just little softies tank... I haven't trusted it with higher end palys/zoas yet. haha.

Lmk if u change ur mind. if you want the hood, it's yours for free nontheless.

Jep21

U can always put a PAR 38 bulb.. Will grow ur zoas like crzy.. U got a lot to choose from.. Prestige led, coral compulsion, rapid led, ecoxotic, orphek..

yogoshio

If this has a stock hood, Ecoxotic makes their Panorama lights (what comes in the fixture), Ecoxotic Panorama lights will grow SPS even. You can get them in individual strips rather than a whole unit and just put them in the hood. You can get dimmers and splitters to your hearts content. If there's not a hood, then PAR38 would be the most bang for buck. Kessil Blue Tunas are fantastic too but more expensive.