Little rant

scotty

This is a cube for sale on craigslist, and I really do hope hes/shes on this site so i can call them out. Look close enough and youll see what i mean.

some people's kids.......

scotty

Minimum Tank Size: 180 gallons
Max. Size: 1'
Color Form: Blue
Diet: Herbivore
Origin: Fiji, Indonesia, Maldives, Solomon Islands
Family: Acanthuridae

for the new guys so nobodys like, uhh whys that bad?

m.miller1547

I'm a bartender at the oak lawn Hilton. I came across an interesting convo. A lady had a twenty gallon hex with only a hob filter and a heater. She had blue gravel and some driftwood with dory and nemo. She was so excited to show me pics. Her glass was covered with algae. She said the clown and dory fight allot. Turns out she bought dory at nearly six inches and nemo was close to three. I told her that those fish don't belong and it was cruel. She neglected to tip me after my comment. Lol. She bought both fish on Craigslist. She said she had them for over a year in that tank. Sad :(

lunacris

not nearly the worst thing I've ever seen I thinkm there's was a pics of several large tangs and such in a 29 bio cube.

Pufferpunk

I love when people post how a fish that can easily live a decade or more, lasted a whole 3 months in their tank.

lunacris

you can make a nice back ground with that new grout cleaner change the.color every month lol just follow the grout line wipe and in seconds you just changes.the background

jeepsdoitall

ok guys since your on the subject of that specific tang i am thinking of getting one please please dont attack me if im wrong i've been researching and thinking about it for a while but in my tank already is three nemo fish about 1.5 - 2" in size and 5 blue/green chromis, three yellow tail damsel 1"or smaller and a coral beauty angel and about 50 or 60tiny snails and two cleaner shrimp what do you think.. oh and my tank is 220 gallons.. forgot about my black and white saddle back clown 2"

Cubbies

ok guys since your on the subject of that specific tang i am thinking of getting one please please dont attack me if im wrong i've been researching and thinking about it for a while but in my tank already is three nemo fish about 1.5 - 2" in size and 5 blue/green chromis, three yellow tail damsel 1"or smaller and a coral beauty angel and about 50 or 60tiny snails and two cleaner shrimp what do you think.. oh and my tank is 220 gallons.. forgot about my black and white saddle back clown 2"
I think it should do just fine. The only thing I'm opposed to hear is all those clowns. I know it's a bigger tank and they may potentially be OK but I just wouldn't. I feel like at one point or the other their going to kill each other off. Hope it helps!

HecticZ

Would People stop calling them Nemo Fish. Please

It's either a Percula or Ocellaris. or just Clown fish.

Usually a lot of the n00bs do things that they are not supposed to do but they do it because they are misinformed. Like put a Tang in a Biocube or Overpopulate their little cubes after only having the tank set up for a month.

I have seen some people have like 7 fish in a 12g even some members here with like 5 fish in a 12g. I just try and not call them out on it, because I don't want to be that "Jerk"

End Rant

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Unless you have a friend or know someone who is experienced with saltwater, most noobs go by what their LFS tells them. Many years ago the people who I got all my advice from were the guys who sold me my tank. I trusted them and had no other outlet (that I knew of) to speak with others. Most of the advice was good, some of it a bit absurd. It is good there are forums like CR for people to share their knowledge.

Herbie

Banned
Would People stop calling them Nemo Fish. Please

It's either a Percula or Ocellaris. or just Clown fish.
Why? Just a bit of a challenge. Why is one slang "cool" and another is not. This is not just directed at you Hectic. I see it all the time (especially on RC). "Real SW people" are people ok with calling anemones "nems" or "BTAs". Frags, sticks, rics, dino, cyano; these are all vernacular slang and that is ok because it is "in". Why not require it to be called an Amphiprion ocellaris if you want to get specific. I think Nemo and Dori are pretty clear indicators of what people are talking about and "Finding Nemo" probably did more to mainstream this hobby than anything every has or will (good bad or indifferent). Again, much respect to all, but I think we should try to foster and inform instead of embarrass and belittle. We see terrible grammar and spelling constantly without any reaction, but throw out a Nemo and everyone starts ticking their tongues like a scolding mother. It's really just funny and, of course, somewhat ignorance enabling for me to defend the use, but I just think it's a little much. MHO and end of my rant.:typing:

edit: The tang in the little tank is not covered in this rant. That person is making a detrimental mistake.

HecticZ

Why? Just a bit of a challenge. Why is one slang "cool" and another is not. This is not just directed at you Hectic. I see it all the time (especially on RC). "Real SW people" are people ok with calling anemones "nems" or "BTAs". Frags, sticks, rics, dino, cyano; these are all vernacular slang and that is ok because it is "in". Why not require it to be called an Amphiprion ocellaris if you want to get specific. I think Nemo and Dori are pretty clear indicators of what people are talking about and "Finding Nemo" probably did more to mainstream this hobby than anything every has or will (good bad or indifferent). Again, much respect to all, but I think we should try to foster and inform instead of embarrass and belittle. We see terrible grammar and spelling constantly without any reaction, but throw out a Nemo and everyone starts ticking their tongues like a scolding mother. It's really just funny and, of course, somewhat ignorance enabling for me to defend the use, but I just think it's a little much. MHO and end of my rant.:typing:

edit: The tang in the little tank is not covered in this rant. That person is making a detrimental mistake.
Yea sorry but some of that "slang" has been around before "Nemo" came out.

Some of that slang is just making the word shorter.
Ric = Ricordia
Nemo = Anemone

So how does
Nemo = Percula or Ocellaris?

Yes I have been keeping Saltwater tanks before Nemo came out.

That movie did bring more people into SW but unfortunately, it did more bad then good.
Too many people trying to keep Nemo and Dori in a 10g tank.