little white starfish question

AndyP27

We have a few little white starfish (about 1/4 inch (6mm)) in the tank. I asked our pet store guy about in MO before we moved about them and he said they can get bad but I don't remember what they do. I just counted six of them, is this something that will mess with coral? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tgunz127

I got a few of them ... In my opinion they are harmless ... When I see them I pulled them out but some ppl like them ... They are called asterina starfish ... Look them up for more info ...

ColaAddict

they just like to move about on the walls of the aquarium eating algae, they should be harmless, but they can multiply really fast and can be an eyesore.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
They can also go rouge and eat certain paly's. After several years without any problems I just recently had some that ate my contest paly and now I'm plucking them off my pink zoas. If they get really bad and you want them gone, then harlequin shrimp will eat them. However a harley will eat hundreds of them in a matter of a week or two so you have nowhere near enough to go that route. Once they're gone you have to buy chocolate chip starfish to feed them, and that is not always an easy thing to do.

Cubbies

They can go after coral so keep an eye on them. Just like Eric said they love polyps. I have a few in the tank as well but haven't done any damage so far. I try taking them out as well.

saltymike

I had hundreds of them in my tank and never paid much attention to them until my red hornets disappeared. I bought a harlequin and within 2 weeks they were all gone. I bought a couple chocolate chip stars for him to eat and then I sold him.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
I found these on my palys today... Very upset :( It went after a few of my favorite frags.. They are now air drying as a punishment :sly:

nailbender

I've had these all over my tank and had no issues.....until yesterday. I moved a paly that wasn't doing so well and it perked up about a week ago, then a few days later it started shriveling up again I thought it was too close to an acan so I went to move it and found one of them little suckers on the stalk. It will never do it again.

FishBeard

Holy cow, this thread is like the precursor warning of the little white starfish uprising!

All ur palys are belong to us!

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
They eat every speck of coraline algae off my rocks, which isn't that big a deal, but after eating my contest paly I now see them eating my pink zoas. We need to buy a community harlequin shrimp that we can pass around the community eating these littlebastards!!!

These things are kill on sight in my tank now. Found them eating orange zoa's and GSP.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2