Live or dead rock

FlyinBryan

In my quest for the perfect tank startup..ha ha..im wondering if there is a modicum of truth to starting out with live rock or dead (assuming previously live rock)? Evidently there are the coral earing worms that can be in the live rock vs nothing on the dead rock. Thoughts?

WeePee

Ive always gone with 25% live rock, either online or LPS. and 75% BRS Reef Saver rock. their Pukani is great looking, and their shelf rock is nice if you need flat pieces.

live rock is great because it doesnt take the time dry rock needs to color up, but it can get costly if you have a large tank. hitchhikers are a risk as well, but can be easily sought out by quarantining live rock on purchase.

FishBeard

Dry rock with a few small pieces of colored up live rock rubble to seed the coralline population. No dealing with pest hitchhikers this way, and saves a LOT of money for other stuff!

Smitty

Premium member
I also agree with going with a majority of base rock and a few pieces of live rock to seed it.

FlyinBryan

Thanks everyone..i went w/live rock and its been great!! After several weeks of fish and corals all of the parameters are spot on! Water looks great and fish are really doing well!!

eddie240

its better to go 75% dry and 25% live so that it can seed the other rock and help filter your water.