Live rock in refugium

ejwan

If I keep some live rock in the refugium does it need lighting? I'm just setting up my first tank. I have some extra rock and I read that putting live rock there will help with water quality.

Herbie

Banned
You might find that you will help solve algae problems if you do light your fuge and grow some macro in there. The ide is that if the algae is eating all of the nutrients there, it won't be able to in your main tank. Lots of paople have great luck with cheap Home Depot twisty CFL bulbs in a cheap reflector socket (depending on if you have room). Chaeto algae is a great choice and I can set you up with a ton to start with if you are ever near northbrook or hawthorn woods and decide to light your fuge. If you want fancy and incredible growth, I highly recommend CoralComupulsion.com's Fuge LED. I'm literally doubling my chaeto every 10 days.

I didn't like the amount of detritus in my fuge so I only keep chaeto in mine. Low nutrient levels are important to my SPS dominate tank.

Herbie

Banned
I wanted rock in my fuge, but it did get nasty so I built a basket out of egg crate to hold it off the bottom (hanging from the sides). I just give the basket a little shake when I clean my fuge and any trapped det comes right out.

Macro is definitely key too that's why I have it in my fuge. I just didn't like having algae growth on the rocks so I separated them.

ejwan

This is my first tank. It will be primarily a reef tank. I will be using purigen and carbon. I just added the sand and live rock (35 lbs) yesterday. I put big chunks of leftover rock in the refugium (center chamber) and I left room for the purigen bag and a bag of carbon.

Should I add the purigen and carbon now or wait until the tank cycles?

vtam1020

I have a quick question my fuge has rock and macro in it with some ikea strip LEDs on top have good flow proflex 4 gate all the way down my macro don't seem to grow. Lights maybe?

Herbie

Banned
I have a quick question my fuge has rock and macro in it with some ikea strip LEDs on top have good flow proflex 4 gate all the way down my macro don't seem to grow. Lights maybe?
ya. get a CFL twisty at Home Depot (6500k I think). those cheap ikea lights are probably doing nothing.

Reeflogic

A good way to have the live rock in the sump is to have it in the intake area with very high flow, should eliminate the detritus, you may want to convert it to smaller pieces to allow better flow. If it sits in a lower flow area, it will end up being a trap. Although, I did not implement a live rock area in my sump this go round, I did add some rubble for hiding places for microfauna.

Those lights look awesome Herbie, I may eventually grab one. I'm using a 5k version from Menard's (was roughly $30 bucks) and the samples of various macros I have are multiplying super fast. I read so many different theories on fuge lighting, so I just went and spent 35 bucks on the bulb and fixture to see how it works, so far so good!