Live Rock question!!!!

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Hope this in the right area…. If not sorry!!

At what point does the bacteria on live rock isn’t alive anymore but still underwater? Since I will be moving soon (2 day trip) and want to keep some live rock in a bucket with a powerhead to transport. I’m sure it’s going to experience high& low temp changes and salinity going high, unless if I add RO water to help. Will the bacteria die off under these conditions?

Trying to keep this from being a big hassle and trying to make it easy.. I really don’t want the rock to dry out and start the cycle process all over again. Need to set this tank up once I arrive and have it running within a week time.

TIA!!

tinman

not enough experience to answer this question but i dont think you wouldnt even need a powerhead .. if the bucket or watever is moving there is already gonna be a lot of movement in there..

and as far as i know ..no Bacteria is primitive enough to survive all of it ..

DAS212

If there is one thing that my local fish store excels at, it's their quality of live rock. According to the head salesman, all of their live rock comes packed in wet newspaper or paper towel which is enough to keep it alive. Now I believe some bacteria will die, but not enough to prevent the rock from re-establishing itself fairly quickly. I am going to assume that two days in a bucket will be fine if this stuff is okay spending several wrapped in paper towel.

- Dave

Ive moved tanks cross country a few times. Be warned water and rock weigh a LOT. typically if you keep a small amount of water and cover it with wet newspaper you will be fine. Temp will be your concern more than anything. You can use Styrofoam coolers lined with garbage bags to basically bag up sections. Then you can tape a bunch of 24 heat packs in there and change them out a few times. Have lots of separately jugged clean tank water as well as lots of new with you and there waiting

Top Water

All the Fuji live rock I have came shipped 2 day shipping by the 45 pound dry warped in wet newspaper and it was as live as live could be but you will have some due off

Tank2379

If you're able to keep enough water with circulation you should be fine and have little to no die off. Once you get to your final destination throw a Skimmer on it it get all the nasties out and it should be fine, you might get a small cycle but nothing that going to hurt your corals or live stock..

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Thanks everyone!! I'm not worried about the weight.. Its only going to be a few pcs... I guess I was over thinking this :rolleyes:

searle832003

I have moved tanks several times. I have transported the rocks/water in 5 gallon buckets. The longest I took to do this was a day with no pumps heaters nothin. The last time I did that was three years ago and the tank is amazing no issues, great growth and is crazy alive. MAybe I was lucky maybe not, but you won't find out until you try.