Live rock

gji

I want to support my LFS, I was going to buy some live rock from him but what is the going rate per pound and or does anybody have any recommendations?????? I will need 20pds for a nano

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Live rock with nice coralline can costs upwards of $10/lb. Nice pieces of LR should be in the $3 to $5 and base rock $1 to $3. Have you thought of going with dry rock? I'm guessing you're starting a new nano?

gji

Yes new nano, was going to buy dry rock, LFS said don't waste my time with dry rock for that small of a tank. It's 16 gal.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Yes new nano, was going to buy dry rock, LFS said don't waste my time with dry rock for that small of a tank. It's 16 gal.

I don't know why that would be a waste of time. Dry rock comes with no hitchhikers and you can always shape the rock into what you want. If that were my LFS I would be looking for advice elsewhere. Let me guess, The LFS wants you to be their LR at $5/$6 pound?

GBeck87

I don't know why that would be a waste of time. Dry rock comes with no hitchhikers and you can always shape the rock into what you want. If that were my LFS I would be looking for advice elsewhere. Let me guess, The LFS wants you to be their LR at $5/$6 pound?
+1 I would hardly call it a waste of time.. he's just trying to get you to buy his rock. Buy like 15lbs of dry rock and then buy 5 lbs of live stuff to seed the dry. Not pointless at all, if you don't mind me asking what LFS told you not to waste your time?

gji

I don't think they are a bad store, just trying to make a living. I probably will use them to buy fish and corals, when I see a deal of course

Last edited:

Suolainen

If you use primarily Dry Rock with a little bit of Live Rock how long does it take for the dry rock to look like the live rock? Also is there any way to speed up the process?

trackfast

Princess Trainer
If you use primarily Dry Rock with a little bit of Live Rock how long does it take for the dry rock to look like the live rock? Also is there any way to speed up the process?
If you're talking about LR that is completely covered with a thick layer of coralline it would take years. You might be able to speed up the process a little with an additive like "Purple Up" but that has been a topic of debate. I like starting with DR with a piece or two of LR.

Darienreefs7

If you're talking about LR that is completely covered with a thick layer of coralline it would take years. You might be able to speed up the process a little with an additive like "Purple Up" but that has been a topic of debate. I like starting with DR with a piece or two of LR.
Honestly the best bet to coralline growth is the keep Cal, Alk, and Mag stable. Those additives are nothing but super expensive 2 part.