Live sand?

DJE

Hi CR-

I have a question and need your help! :hmmmm:

I'm going to be starting a 12g nano for my son soon and was planning to use LR and LS from my 75gal (DSB). That said, what problems can I expect from removing it from my 75gal tank or should I just purchase a new bag of LS.

Thanks, DJE

ColaAddict

depending on how old your 75gal is, you are going to release some bad stuff imbeded in the sand. You might get a sudden ammonia/nitrite spike and cause a mini-cycle. It's usually not a good idea to mix up you sandbed, especially if you don't reguarly stir it up. I would just get regualr sand and seed with a little live sand from your 75gal.

FishBeard

How far would it be for you to get out to Streamwood? I just siphoned all the sugar sand out of a 29 BioCube, you are welcome to it aside for a couple scoops for 2 members that wanted seed sand. Just bring a 5 gallon bucket to trade for the one I have the sand in, should be plenty for a decent sand bed in a 12g nano.

DJE

Thanks everyone. I will leave it along.

Fishbeard- You are very generous offering up your sand and I thank you very much but I think I'm going to teach my 7yr old son the most important rule in saltwater tanks. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE!! :)

FishBeard

If you change your mind it's yours, just paying it forward, the sand was given to me free anyways. I would definitely rinse it out good before using it since I did stir it up pretty good siphoning it out, just trying to save you some cash from buying a bag of sand.

DJE

If you change your mind it's yours, just paying it forward, the sand was given to me free anyways. I would definitely rinse it out good before using it since I did stir it up pretty good siphoning it out, just trying to save you some cash from buying a bag of sand.
Fishbeard- I just found out I'm heading out to Marengo for the weekend and that's on the way. I'll take you up on the offer. I'm heading out Saturday around 11am. Let me know what time is best for you.

FishBeard

Fishbeard- I just found out I'm heading out to Marengo for the weekend and that's on the way. I'll take you up on the offer. I'm heading out Saturday around 11am. Let me know what time is best for you.
Anytime should be fine, pm your number so I can shoot you my info, if you are taking 90 out there im just about 10 min south on 59.

FishBeard

just use regular sand.
And what kind of regular sand do you recommend?

Also to OP, we just ran out to the HD down here in Indy, they had the oldcastle washed play sand. $4.50 ish with tax, 40 lbs and beautiful smooth tiny sugar grains. Aragonite not silicate (the other brands are silicate). And it's "dry" so your not spending money on water. I started ok filling the display 40b, then started getting hasty and now we have a sandcloud, oops. We did also get some fine grain Caribsea sand from the LFS down here so he can layer some of that over the sugar sand, but I may try to convince him to hold off since it looks so good right now without.