Local Copepods?

Smitty

Premium member
I don't know of any lfs's in that area(I work in the south suburbs)...and always have to drive over west to tinley park for aquarium equipment and livestock. There's 1-2 lfs's in Indiana tho.

ColaAddict

Just get copepods from other reefers by getting chaeto filled with pods, otherwise MCF sells them for about $6 and you just pay half that for refills. You can also just get stars from other reefers as well

Smitty

Premium member
I agree with Cola...if you want a handful of cheato, I'll give you some. It's filled with pods, stars, and snails.

GunkGunk

Thanks!

Thanks much for the info everyone. I was thinking I've got to drop 100 bucks to indo pacific sea farms to get some. Thanks for helping a new reefer get started!

ColaAddict

Yah, I did that. when I was a new reefer, I paid to buy stuff from IPSF. I wasn't a part of any forum back then and didn't know other reefers. Smart decision to join here.

lunacris

I have some I just did water change and I could use some trimming in fuge. Let me know when u want it. Cheato w pods

GunkGunk

I have some I just did water change and I could use some trimming in fuge. Let me know when u want it. Cheato w pods
I will let you know when I'm ready for them. I'm hoping to get my water mixed up and in the tank in a few days so obviously it will be awhile. Have to get cycled and all.

How long after my tank is cycled should I add some? Before or after CUC? Before or after fish?

Alistar

I'm heading to Midwest Coral Farms tomorrow. It will be my first trip, and would love to pick up some "seeding" pods there.

Greg

I was looking for micro stars a while back also.
Could not find anyone who sold them locally.

Problem is they hide in tiny cracks and are hard to get out. If you tried you'd just end up with a bunch of arms.

MCF may be your best bet. Although I went there and asked if they sold the micro stars 6 months ago, and they said they didnt. They receive them all the time with shipments of liverock, but never kept them. Probably assumed noone wanted to buy them. :p
Also, the same with acro crabs. They told me they came in on corals, but they never bothered keeping them. I want to buy a bunch of acro crabs. :p