Looking for an RO/DI system

RJDENNIS

I am looking to purchase an RO/DI unit so I don't have to make the trip to the LFS for water changes and top offs.
First off I want a system that doesn't waste water when it produces it, my town rapes me for water usage.
I was looking into the Kold- Ster-Il system, Aquatics in Tinley Park uses them and also sells them.
I was wondering if anyone here has experiencence with the system. Do you use it, have it? Pros/Cons
Are there any other systems on the market like it?

Im open to suggestions.

fwadiver

cant comment dont have one, I use a bulk reef, as for waste water it depends on your membrane and water pressure, you can get a double membrane water saver from brs that recycles the waste water a second time, but you are always going to have waste water with a RO membrane.

edit: just looked up kold ster-il, it is not a ro/di system its just an expensive water filter, I doubt you will get zero TDS without using DI resin post filter and then you are going to probably burn thru DI resin faster than if you used a RO membrane, just ly 0.02 based on some quick googling

Smitty

Premium member
You should just try to catch a deal on bulkreefsupply or marinedepot...that's where most of us got ours from.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Try CL; that's where I got mine off . It's a BRS unit that I got pretty cheap; the filters were still good too.

AndyP27

you can always get creative with your waste water...I run mine into the washing machine and do a load of laundry when it fills up (got the idea off of someone on this site) Takes longer but I'm not wasting the water! That reminds me I need to start the water!

RJDENNIS

Did you ever decide on which one to buy?
Yes I bought the Spectra Pure Maxcap. I actually was able to set it up today and it is making water as I type. Hopefully I will be able to make salt tomorrow and start filling this darn tank. Its been a very long slow build but I wanted to make sure I did it right and not cut corners.

Pfisherman

Yes I bought the Spectra Pure Maxcap. I actually was able to set it up today and it is making water as I type. Hopefully I will be able to make salt tomorrow and start filling this darn tank. Its been a very long slow build but I wanted to make sure I did it right and not cut corners.
Be sure to discard the first ten gallons.

I would say don't buy used unless you get a really good deal on it, it's one piece of equipment I would buy new for piece of mind and it's not too expensive
A really good one 5 stage for under 200.00 from bulkreefsupply