Looking for Clams

kratos1028

Anyone know where I can get cheap clams from locally? I'm talking about the clams you would feed fish, clams on the half shell or full clam. I need it to feed my fish and jewel sells them for 50 cents/pce which adds up quick.

steveo9043

check the frozen section. I dont remember but I thought I saw just the meat of the clams in a frozen bag before.

kratos1028

I have tried clam meat but it doesn't even look at it if it isn't on a shell. It does eat other foods but I want to fatten it up on something it is eating really well before I start throwing a mix in there. I haven't tried an Asian mart. There is one by Advanced aquatics in hoffman estates I think. I will check them out.

Milhouse

Premium member
Sounds like you have some snooty fish! Lol!

There is an asian store by aquarium adventure on golf rd in hoffman estates. Not really a supermarket just a small place.

kratos1028

Went to the asian market in the Petco plaza area in hoffman estates and picked up some clams and mussels. They have clams for 20 cents/pce compared to jewel 50 cents/pce and the mussels was 3.68$/2lb which is pretty cheap I think. I tried mussels and it worked great. It actually went to town on it. Thanks Everyone! :)

kratos1028

So how does this work? Thaw frozen mussel, chop into tiny pieces (food processor?), feed, win?
I just thaw it out in a container with tank water. I alternate between adding vitachem, garlic, and vit c to it. After 15 mins of soaking/thawing in the container with either of the additives, I just toss it in. No cutting or chopping it up. I am going to post up a video it eating in a different section after it uploads to youtube.

Wow - so the fish are able to take it apart? I am imagining the mussel sinking to the bottom and then being swarmed by hermit crabs and snails.

kratos1028

Wow - so the fish are able to take it apart? I am imagining the mussel sinking to the bottom and then being swarmed by hermit crabs and snails.
Hermits don't get to it until after the fish have had their fill but yea, I just drop it in and let it sink and the fish take bites out of it. No need to chop up unless you are feeding fish with tiny mouths that can't rip it up.