Looking for opinions on IP cameras

100LL

Anybody using a kick ass IP camera that they would recommend? Looking to buy a camera to stream my tank either through APEX Fusion or stand alone. Camera will be mounted across the room (approx 10ft away) so would prefer a zoom feature of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockhead

There a ton of options on amazon , I've been looking at a drop cam that can be link with the ecotech live app, like anything what are you willing to spend. In the past I ran a hootoo cam not the best pic and a price of $28 it was perfect when I went out of town to watch the house and tank plus it was all wireless.

100LL

There a ton of options on amazon , I've been looking at a drop cam that can be link with the ecotech live app, like anything what are you willing to spend. In the past I ran a hootoo cam not the best pic and a price of $28 it was perfect when I went out of town to watch the house and tank plus it was all wireless.
Thanks man. Yeah, think there are at least a hundred options on amazon alone and every model I read up on is discontinued and no longer available. Lol

It's also pretty remarkable that my budget started at $300 last year and now most options are well under $100.

skyon888

I use a dropcam, it's mounted about 10' from the tank. The quality isn't the greatest, though it's not the Pro.
Here's a screenshot of the quality after zoomed in on just the tank. It has saved me once when I saw my BTA take a stroll into the MP10 and I was able to shut down the MP10.

View attachment 20832

lakereef

I have a couple Dericam's that have been decent. One has the pan/tilt and the other pan/tilt/zoom. Quality as 702p and good enough to see the gist of what's going on. Don't have a Foscam but assume the quality is similar. I also have used an old iphone that was just sitting around, which has much better quality and super easy to setup with free software.

Irsug1

Premium member
I have a foscam and use ipcam viewer lite to control zoom and pan features. I did need an IT guy to set up as its quite difficult.
When you find one that is easy to set up or plug and play let me know!

100LL

I have a foscam and use ipcam viewer lite to control zoom and pan features. I did need an IT guy to set up as its quite difficult.
When you find one that is easy to set up or plug and play let me know!
This has been my problem too... Some things are reported as difficult and end up being easy and some things should be plug and play easy and they turn into a total nightmare for my non IT functioning brain. I will probably take the plunge in the near future and report back to the group.

BradB

Premium member
What about the Icecap Reef-Cam

It goes into the tank
It's $199.99

100LL

What about the Icecap Reef-Cam

It goes into the tank
It's $199.99

Thanks. I saw that one and seems like a good option for some applications, but not what I'm after.