Looking for some Travel Advice

CoralN00b

I am having a real first world problem right now and need some help. We are taking a vacation in November and I am trying to decide between Curacao and Panama.

If we go to Curacao, We will fly in, have a connecting flight each way but that's not a problem, and be 20 - 30 minutes from our resort. It is Carribean waters, clear and blue with powder white sand. We will venture off the resort when we can and get some snorkeling and a trip to the neighboring islands.

If we go to Panama, we aren't staying in Panama city. We would fly in nonstop and then have at least a 2 - 3 hour drive to the resort which is in Playa Blanca. Most of our time will be strictly on the resort as there isn't much around there. We will take a day trip to the canal and city, 2 - 3 hours each way and also one to the rainforest to spend the day with an indigenous tribe. The rest of the time is on the beach. The resort is on the atlantic side so the water isn't as clear or nice I think. I feel like more relaxing in Panama and more partying carribean flair in Curacao.

The plus side to Curacao is going to the other islands in the same trip. The plus to Panama is getting to see the tribe. I am seriously stuck on which one I want but I am leaning towards Curacao. Anybody been to either or even better...... been to both and can give me their opinion?

I am big on posting up at a local dive bar on the beach, experiencing local food and music and I think I will get more of that in Curacao. However, I am huge on history and seeing an indigenous tribe would be a highlight in Panama.

Serious first world problem I am having right now. :tit:

Irsug1

Premium member
We considered curacao for our honeymoon but we're talked out of it because it's not so nice intown, especially at night. Did you know that they are a prostitution hub.
We decided on Belize.

CoralN00b

We considered curacao for our honeymoon but we're talked out of it because it's not so nice intown, especially at night. Did you know that they are a prostitution hub.
We decided on Belize.
Wow I had no idea! Maybe I will leave the wife at home for this trip then!

I heard alot of good things about Curacao. I think Mai went and a few others here. Not sure though. Thanks though, i will look into that for sure.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I went to Panama a few years ago and stayed with an indigenous tribe. Took a flight to Panama City and stayed there for one night (talk about prostitutes, but great people watching). Next day took a puddle jumper to the Caribbean and stayed with the Kuna on Yandup Island. It's no bigger that a football field and just had thatch huts to stay in. Fresh water is brought to the island and loaded into a makeshift water tower with five gallon buckets. It is by no means luxury, and you are trapped on the island, but we met really cool people. You can walk right into the water outside you hut and snorkel with huge nurse sharks and tons of other fish. The kuna will drive you around to other islands for free in boats. There is an honor bar with $12 bottles of wine and $2 beers. Three meals were included each day and I think it was only $90 per day for both of us.

The Kuna village on the mainland was a little sad. They push their garbage right into the ocean. One strange thing to note, their flag is a backwards swastika. It's a little alarming to roll up to a village flying tons of swastika flags in the air.

I'd recommend the place, but be warned, it's not luxury and once you're there, you're there. Google Yandup Island.

On the plus side, you can BYOB on the plane. Some dudes were just openly pouring Crown and Cokes for us. There were tons of kids reenacting their liberation with fake guns running around on the runway the day we left.

Here's the island. We snorkeled a ton in the blue strip between the islands. Sharks barracudas, etc.

Last edited:

jayjerk

Premium member
been to Curacao it's hot as....well you know . It was ok just couldn't get over the heat thing. Definitely kind of sketchy but we had a good time

CoralN00b

Thanks guys! I am still trying to debate it. Looking at all options.

Sawdonkey, that sounds pretty amazing! I am looking it up.

FraginReeferHead

I went to Panama a few years ago and stayed with an indigenous tribe. Took a flight to Panama City and stayed there for one night (talk about prostitutes, but great people watching). Next day took a puddle jumper to the Caribbean and stayed with the Kuna on Yandup Island. It's no bigger that a football field and just had thatch huts to stay in. Fresh water is brought to the island and loaded into a makeshift water tower with five gallon buckets. It is by no means luxury, and you are trapped on the island, but we met really cool people. You can walk right into the water outside you hut and snorkel with huge nurse sharks and tons of other fish. The kuna will drive you around to other islands for free in boats. There is an honor bar with $12 bottles of wine and $2 beers. Three meals were included each day and I think it was only $90 per day for both of us.

The Kuna village on the mainland was a little sad. They push their garbage right into the ocean. One strange thing to note, their flag is a backwards swastika. It's a little alarming to roll up to a village flying tons of swastika flags in the air.

I'd recommend the place, but be warned, it's not luxury and once you're there, you're there. Google Yandup Island.

On the plus side, you can BYOB on the plane. Some dudes were just openly pouring Crown and Cokes for us. There were tons of kids reenacting their liberation with fake guns running around on the runway the day we left.

Here's the island. We snorkeled a ton in the blue strip between the islands. Sharks barracudas, etc.

Sorry a bit off topic but I just had a run in with swastikas as well..

Short story, I sub contracted a job in Naperville about 2 weeks ago and the guy had hired some Young kids, as I was leaving I noticed swastikas on the front entry to the door. I called him as I was leaving and was like what is this?

So to cover my ass I took Pics and called him and said dude I think those kids wrote swastikas on these Hindus front porch. (these kids* early 20s was cursing up a storm in front of them)

He calls them and confronts them on it, meen while I make it home and google it, Turns out thats a Hindu symbol for fortune or good over evil?

Felt so bad but even being half German I only ever known that symbol as being nazi.

Sorry to derail the Thread but remember dont drink the local water (ice included) no matter which tour you take :)

Last edited: