LPS and Zoa polyp problems

Jason R

I've noticed that in the morning when my lights are off my zoa polyps are all extended and my encrusting goniopora polyps are starting to push out. But once my lights go on later in the day they are all mostly retracted. I am also concerned about my Acanthastrea as they seem to shrink. Right now all of them are on the sand bed.

My tank is 18" deep with an XR30W Radion Gen 1 light on top. Currently the lights are set at the Radiant Color preset which tops out at 75% intensity and is mainly focused on the blue spectrum.

My water parameters are as follows:
Alkalinity: 9.1 DKH
Calcium: 400 PPM
Magnesium: 1480 ppm
PH: 8.0
Phosphates: 0.0
Nitrates: 0.0
Nitrites 0.0
Salinity: 1.024

I am not sure if this is a light issue or a water parameter issue. I have a Bubble Coral and Sarcophyton coral that are extending nicely. The problem seems to be only affecting the acans and zoas. Any help is appreciated.

Joe5688

It's normal. They are trying to get light. When ur lights turn on they are happy again and retract.

Jason R

The majority of the zoas are closing up and the goniopora are completely sunken back into the rock. Is this OK?

frostyjay1

+1 once the lights goes off for me a lot of my zoas close up. my acans get really small and so does my trumpet coral. however by "mid-day" lighting, everything is opened up and puffed up and happy. its all part of its natural cycle

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Please excuse Joe as he has an Odyssea and his zoas mostly stay open..lol!!

I think you are cooking your corals at that %.. How high is the fixure from water?

tinman

Please excuse Joe as he has an Odyssea and his zoas mostly stay open..lol!!

I think you are cooking your corals at that %.. How high is the fixure from water?
+1, if polyps are closing when the lights come on ..it might mean that its too bright

and when the lights are off.. i have seen this in my tank too zoas turn towards where there is ambient light and start extending stalks .. i hope this is normal

Jason R

They are closing up when the light is on. The lights are too bright. I have it about 10" above the water level.

tinman

They are closing up when the light is on. The lights are too bright. I have it about 10" above the water level.
Yup dim your lights and increase your light cycle and it may solve the problem .. but wait till someone more knowledgeable chimes in, with my lighting issues im having may be im not good enough to advise :(

Jason R

Sorry. I must not have been clear. My complaint was that they shrunk when the lights are on. I thought the lights might be too bright but I wasn't sure. They only extend when the lights are off when they see the sunlight through the window which made me suspect the lights might be too much.

Jason R

try to dial back the intensity to like 60% for a couple weeks and see if it makes a difference
The cool thing is that there is a new acclimation feature in the latest firmware that allows you to slowly ramp up to target intensity over a few weeks. I'll set it really low for a while and build up to 60%.