LPS ID help please

fit

Does anybody know what this is. I think it is a plate coral. The first pic show it as it normally is. The second after I disturb it and it retracts. I received it as a piece of coral like a plate. Hdang1 snapped it off his mother colony that was just loose and not atached to anything. I glued it to the rock as you see it. And it has since secured itself to that rock as it grew. That rock is actually almost straight up and down. Very close to vertical.

tkh

Don't judge by color - look more at the patterns the skeleton forms (what you can see of it at least when the polyps retract). Properly ID-ing coral beyond some of the basics (and even then sometimes those are masked/confused) is difficult. It kind of looks like it has hydnophores (conical mounds of fused corallite walls), but maybe not?... So, umm, hard to tell from the photo, and my completely untrained eye, but in comparing to photos I'd guess its not a hydnophora. Mostly because the "valleys" don't seem to meander, nor are they as broken up as the hydnophora examples I am looking at. From this distance and resolution, I am also not sure if it has the bumps in between the valleys that are more characteristic of hydnophores? Maybe it is a Merulina Ampliata or M. Scarbricula (although apparently these aren't as common?)

Really you would need a proper taxonomist to weigh in, and potentially examine the dead skeleton (or part of a skeleton) for a full on ID. My guess is that it is probably a Merulinidae family coral, genus being a hydnophora or merulina.

Awesome coral though, very pretty!

Oh, and a link on Merulinidae: http://biophysics.sbg.ac.at/coral/merulin.htm

EDIT: Hmm, apprently I'm late to the party, just clicked on your links! If it is a merulina, that's awesome man! Not as common, and they form different structures (plates, fans, etc) depending on the local water conditions. In other words, the colony's growth will vary throughout! The book I've got also lists them as being somewhat more difficult to keep. Apparently they are also very susceptible to being attacked by other corals, and often lose / die in this case. They are relatively passive, despite their sweepers. (again, not my information or experience, just listing what I've read)

fit

Thanks for the help in identifying this. The shapes this thing is starting to make are interesting, and the pics I see now of more mature colonies are very nuanced and beautiful. I have never seen sweepers on this thing even though I look sometimes at night. Are there any pics or vids of this kind of coral showing sweepers?

I've had no difficulty in keeping this coral. Seems to be very robust, or it just likes what I threw at it by mistake. It's now growing rapidly towards that red montipora, which is also growing rapidly outwards and will soon shade the merulin. The merulin will not grow in the deeper shadows. I hope they don't fight. I like both very much. Hope they can respect each others boundaries and coexist.

tkh

Supposedly they like moderate flow, higher light, and are typically found in lagoon-like conditions. I don't have any pictures on hand regarding their sweepers, but I would not worry about them, as they are designated as a fairly passive coral.

Regarding their hardiness, from what I've read, it seems that they are susceptible to bleaching and gradual necrosis, without any easily discernible cause, even after months of seemingly healthy growth. They also, as I mentioned above, seem to lose most conflicts with other corals.

Again all of my information regarding this coral is purely from reading a few books and texts! I have no real experience with them, and our knowledge regarding them certainly could have improved since the publication of the books. If it helps you out some, that's great! And if it ever gets big enough to frag.... Well, count me in :)

fit

How do I frag it? I tried to pull/snag a piece off but the result is a small piece that snaps off. I could try put a piece of rubble in the way of its growth and harvest that months from now. I was able to put a snapped off piece inside an old shell. If it stays put and adheres you can have it. It seems to be dong well in that shell, but it ain't stuck down. What kind of glue to use and how to do it?

tkh

Hey, sorry I missed your follow-up post. I imagine you just break a piece off, but I really have no idea when it comes to fragging stuff! Maybe a more experienced reefer can chime in. In any case, as for glue, pretty much any super glue works, but get the GEL kind - otherwise you just get liquid super glue everywhere, and all over your hands... Well, I did at least. Putting some rubble inbetween to encourage a separate growth might be a good natural way of fragging it, but again, I'm just guessing at this point. Let me how it all works out for you!

fit

Jeni, do you cut through the entire rock with that dremel?

Or do you somehow shave off the frag?

I actually have a bandsaw that I can dig up. Need to see if I can get a diamond chip blade for that thing. The rock it's on is on the bottom of my tank, topped with other coral bearing rocks. The rock happens to be quite large. It's roughly cuboid and measures about 12"x10"x10" so I have to think about this. Maybe I'll end up putting a ceramic tile in the way of growth and wait.

tkh

Given the placement and size of the rock, perhaps the tile idea may work out better :) Especially if you are in no rush to frag it!