Lumia 5.2 cree pucks

AForys

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/343127-lumia-52-pics-and-par-readings/

Anyone ever played with these? I use 2 of these on a 20in heatsink 24in from bottom of a 40b. Just curious if anyone had any experience with these.

Paulip

The par readings in the article wasn't very impressive. I would put those 2 into an MH reflector to make up for not having optics.

If i put on my "McGyver smoker" hat, I may use some mylar, .....etc etc

Last edited:

AForys

you don't think it's good enough for a mixed reef and only having a few sps on top? I know when I go 75% sps don't show pe and my LPS on sb don't open up as much.

Paulip

you don't think it's good enough for a mixed reef and only having a few sps on top? I know when I go 75% sps don't show pe and my LPS on sb don't open up as much.

Oops. Sorry. I was looking at the Single Lumia PAR reading. Dual shows 214 PAR on the sand floor. You probably have 350-400 PAR on those rocks.

Where did you get those white rocks in front for encrusting frags? Ceramic?

Last edited:

AForys

how much par is should birdsnest have? the birdsnest's seem happy. but the digi and spongode are not happy.

madjoe

Premium member
how much par is should birdsnest have? the birdsnest's seem happy. but the digi and spongode are not happy.
Depends on birdsnest . Pink likes hight light to keep color green likes lower monties r same some like higher some like lower but most r lower no pe on them is more a flow or nutrient issue probably i had no pe on my monties when tank was super clean

Paulip

Somewhat... consider it for trade in the future along with your debit balance with me : ) . Euphillia's are growing too fast for my tank though I am really happy with my purple hammer specimen.

With crown of thorns, the thorns might start pointing downward if there is too much light. Same with monti cap growth. I honestly don't know what monti pe is. The polyps are so small. I just see small circles. Additionally, I have a bunch of calcium sticks when lights are off.

I think for other birdsnest, it will take whatever lighting you can give it. My white skeleton/ light green birdsnest (looks frail) that you saw was actually under much higher light when I saw the mother colony. It looked like green mithril. I hope it thrives.

As for PAR, I don't have much knowledge or experience. However, Pink and Yellow are known to demand the most par. They have the zoox for it . Note that S. hystrix don't readily replace their zoox.

An interesting article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/birdsnest-corals-do-not-adapt-well-to-different-conditions

Last edited:

AForys

I have a ponepe bird's nest green polyps and a Ora green birdsnest as for the monti I have red,green w/ blue polyps and a sunburst I basically have everything at same height... <----new to sps nitrate and phosphate is really low so I thought I'd give sps a go. also the forest fire digi and purple stylo, all same height right now...

Paulip

Did you notice getting less algae and more coralline when you brought in the large SPS pack from SawDonkey?

Initially, all my tank inhabitants got majorly pissed! They noticed a big change. However, after a big WC and carbon everybody settled down. Now, I barely get algae on the glass and coralline is taking off. I think it's positive allelopathy. I am feeding a ton in a fishless tank and running much dirtier water by dosing nitrates as well.

A nice way to start a mixed reef tank is to start with an SPS tank. LOL. Wish I kept that dinner plate sized monti cap as a tank starter.

Last edited:

AForys

I feed very heavy and honestly my tank is over stocked with fish. 9 fish in a 40b, all small fish but nonetheless still 9 fish. And for coraline it's been exploding in my tank!
Alk 9
Mag 1520
Cal 480
(red sea )

Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
(API)

Paulip

Overstocked fish means well fed corals. I am not new to fish keeping, but now have a fishless tank. I feel like a fool (everyday) target feeding corals. This amount of free floating food and unconfirmed ingestion would be totally unacceptable to me in a fish tank.

Alk 8. I feel high alk is a thin margin at 0 nitrate and 0 phosphates. Nice to know it works for you. I may push it further.

I dose 2ppm-4ppm nitrate every morning and afternoon which goes to zero the next day for almost 3 weeks now. I am really unsure what to do after deciding I want some nitrates. Get fish which would decimate my nice pod population (a security blanket but not enough to feed the tank) or get a doser, which for nitrates, just sounds stupid. I think I can add it to the ATO without the ATO going biological????

We'll see what happens when the hammer meets the Setosa. Somebody is going to get fragged and it ain't the Setosa. The rock its on is the cornerstone of the next tank. Also interesting is that the Orange Setosa maintains high flourescence in any lighting.

Last edited:

AForys

or you can always get a single brs doser, what exactly are you dosing? I've been thinking about trying some amino.

Paulip

Dosing a solution of spectracide stump remover daily to maintain 2ppm nitrates.

Last edited: