MACI who's going ?

hansnfrans

Just looked at the floorplan. That fraggers row is insane! Might have to make room for more fraggers! (I guess that's what happens when you charge your own CMAS members $75 for half of a table)

FishBeard

Just looked at the floorplan. That fraggers row is insane! Might have to make room for more fraggers! (I guess that's what happens when you charge your own CMAS members $75 for half of a table)
From my understanding, the $75 fee is as low as the spaces can be rented for without CMAS going out of pocket. It seems like a lot, but you can fit a heck of a lot of frags on a half table. A couple quick sales recoups the table cost, then it's all money in the pocket from that point on. A lot of people aren't realizing yet just how large scale this event is going to be compared to the size of the overcrowded events held at the VFW hall in the past. It will be nice to walk around and stretch out without bumping other shoppers.

SkullV

From my understanding, the $75 fee is as low as the spaces can be rented for without CMAS going out of pocket.
With the current 30/32 unsold spaces on the right side of the swap they are looking to incur a $2250 out of pocket cost anyway. That is unless the space only charges for tables that are going to be set up.

FishBeard

With the current 30/32 unsold spaces on the right side of the swap they are looking to incur a $2250 out of pocket cost anyway. That is unless the space only charges for tables that are going to be set up.
What I understand if a space is set up, the club is charged for setup and utility usage for that space by pheasant run.

hansnfrans

Here's the way I see it: You cut the price on fraggers tables, you get more fraggers there, you attract more people who want a frag swap (over a bunch of retailers and speakers) you get a higher total turnout (those looking to buy from fraggers and those looking to see the presentations). Fraggers have more people to sell to, people have more fraggers to buy from.....

or.....

You charge hobbyists $75 for a spot. 4 fraggers spots are purchased. A couple hundred people wanting a frag swap (instead of watching presenters and being limited to buying from retailers) don't show up. More people are unhappy with the direction things went in for this swap. Less people show up to next semi-annual CMAS swap event (because of how MACI went). Club starts going down the crapper.... again.

This is unfortunate b/c I really, really liked ("-ed" past-tense!) where this club was headed back around the time of the last swap.

I do like having bigger events with more room but you build up to it over time. Not over-night. Also, you take the hobbyists into consideration first, and NOT try to put on a massive event that will please some, but not most.

But, as I said, this is only the way I see it. I am only one person. So if this is what you guys want, then have at it! Like I said in the previous paragraph, it is in the best interest to cater to the majority (I do mean that, not being sarcastic).

So what does the majority want?

FishBeard

Here's the way I see it: You cut the price on fraggers tables, you get more fraggers there, you attract more people who want a frag swap (over a bunch of retailers and speakers) you get a higher total turnout (those looking to buy from fraggers and those looking to see the presentations). Fraggers have more people to sell to, people have more fraggers to buy from.....

or.....

You charge hobbyists $75 for a spot. 4 fraggers spots are purchased. A couple hundred people wanting a frag swap (instead of watching presenters and being limited to buying from retailers) don't show up. More people are unhappy with the direction things went in for this swap. Less people show up to next semi-annual CMAS swap event (because of how MACI went). Club starts going down the crapper.... again.

This is unfortunate b/c I really, really liked ("-ed" past-tense!) where this club was headed back around the time of the last swap.

I do like having bigger events with more room but you build up to it over time. Not over-night. Also, you take the hobbyists into consideration first, and NOT try to put on a massive event that will please some, but not most.

But, as I said, this is only the way I see it. I am only one person. So if this is what you guys want, then have at it! Like I said in the previous paragraph, it is in the best interest to cater to the majority (I do mean that, not being sarcastic).

This was a very well stated opinion about the workings of the event, but nonetheless, twice now you criticize the decision to host this MACI event commenting on the fragging hobbyist side of the event. This event was never intended to be a frag swap, people wanted frags so the option was made available, and the club got criticized for the price of tables, so the club once again bent over and lowered the price to where supplying a space was a wash in cost for the club. Now after all they have done it is still not good enough for those few members that continue to gripe over the show not being a frag swap, instead of looking at the bigger picture of an amazing event that goes so far beyond the basic frag swap that the club has hosted in the past.

But even after all is said, let's reflect back on the original purpose of this thread, which was simply are you going to attend or not? So Butters of South Park, CO ;-) are you planning to make the trip in to attend our little local reef club event?

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..

or.....

Pheasant Run charges $75 to set up each table. What do you suggest? Charge a fragger $25 for a table and let CMAS pay the other $50 to Pheasant Run...? How do you propose CMAS find the money to cover the $50 shortfall?

There is a recurruing theme that keeps coming up and that is that CMAS is ignoring "the will of the people" by not holding a typical frag swap this spring. You are obviously one of the people who would much rather have a standard frag swap instead of MACI, and that is okay to have that opinion. There are certainly many of you out there who are not happy that MACI replaced the spring swap. I, for one, am very excited about MACI and I'm sure there are also many others who are excited about it.

I guess my confusion comes from this statement of yours... "Also, you take the hobbyists into consideration first, and NOT try to put on a massive event that will please some, but not most." I've seen others post similar comments and it makes we wonder why you (and others) say this? Have you taken a poll or conducted an opinion survey of CMAS members to see who is "pleased" and who is not about MACI? You make the assumption that most are not pleased. From what I've gathered based on previous communications from CMAS is that the majority of CMAS members (when responding to an actual poll) voted for an event like this to occur.

A majority of CMAS members voted for this to happen, but now you (and others) claim that most CMAS members don't want it to happen...

SkullV

But even after all is said, let's reflect back on the original purpose of this thread, which was simply are you going to attend or not? So Butters of South Park, CO ;-) are you planning to make the trip in to attend our little local reef club event?
Along with most of the major national vendors he will probably be going to Reefstock in Denver the day before MACI.

BADGUS

The event is a done deal,let's stop the whole coulda/woulda/shoulda and enjoy the event at hand.Suggestions are welcomed for future events,also CMAS staff will learn a lot from this event,so based on what happens the club will make better informed decisions for future events.

See you all soon.

FishBeard

Along with most of the major national vendors he will probably be going to Reefstock in Denver the day before MACI.
Sounds cool, I just hope Butters is considerate enough to take pics and share his experience with those of us that won't be going.

hansnfrans

Not saying that I don't want this event to happen. Just would prefer it not be in place of our Spring swap. Especially since it was our fall FRAG SWAP that had a fantastic turn out. Two frag swaps per year worked perfectly. They were at great times of the year too (b/c we all know that summer is a terrible time for a frag swap). We had a good thing going and now, instead of adding to that "good thing", we are replacing it. It is possible that this event could be a success and I really hope it is, but lets be honest with ourselves, it is not looking that great right now. It doesn't matter how much people try to hype it up. The current situation (referring to how this event is looking) is what it is.

Mr. Beard- I may hitch a ride with Cartman on his bigwheel to MACI if we can make it without having to spend the night in a hotel. Everytime I fall asleep around him, he tries to put things in my mouth and takes pictures of it.

FishBeard

Mr. Beard- I may hitch a ride with Cartman on his bigwheel to MACI if we can make it without having to spend the night in a hotel. Everytime I fall asleep around him, he tries to put things in my mouth and takes pictures of it.
This would be one of those "please keep those pics off the net" parts of your trip if you do decide to share.

So does that mean you most likely won't be attending MACI since its not a good'ole VFW hall frag swap?

OpTiCz

I've been to the VFW hall swap, definitely looking forward to this...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Cubbies

I believe everyone has a valid point and I see em all. I would like different things as well but it is what it is at this point. I will most definitely be there. There's no way in h e l l I am going to miss this whether it is this or that. Hope to see you all there! It should be a blast.