Magnesium Dosing

bryman

Use red sea blue bucket if you want low 8s Alk. I am dosing 60ml ESV Ca and Alk daily and am stable at 420 / 7.6, and I dose 6ml ESV Mg daily and it stays in low 1300s.

tinman

Use red sea blue bucket if you want low 8s Alk. I am dosing 60ml ESV Ca and Alk daily and am stable at 420 / 7.6, and I dose 6ml ESV Mg daily and it stays in low 1300s.
well my guess is along with alk and calc the blue bucket is also on the lower side of the trace elements. i did use the blue regular red sea salt for a while and actually like that too ..

ultimatemj

I measure MAG 2 or 3 times a year. Most often I notice it is below 1300 because ALK becomes irregular. When below 1300 I'll add a capful or 2 of Kent techM once a week for a month or so.

Been using Red Sea Pro for about 9months. I do 20% water changes ever 2, 3,or 4 wks depending on how things look. Happy with the salt.

Last display tank Mag measurement was 1410
Last Kent dose was 2months ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky312

Time for the contrarian view :)

Since you are keeping Calcium and Alkalinity well in balance, I don't think you need to check Magnesium unless you really enjoy testing and dosing, and want another number to chase. There is 3-5 times as much Mg in water as there is Ca; it gets replaced by water changes and is slowly taken up by corals. For infrequent water-changers, probably a different story.

As you can see by reading the thread, I'm in the minority here. But there are people out there who never test Magnesium and still keep SPS successfully.

jrpark22000

Premium member
[MENTION=3185]Sparky312[/MENTION] Totally agree, every tank is different and a lot of people have success with different methods. Its documented well enough what typical ocean MG is in reefs. Science knows so little about the complex nature of what each organizm uses why not give them the best chance to act as it does in nature and keep a near normal Mg level hoping for the optimal result. Even running a mg test a week, it's just 3 minutes. Even then, if you do test for MG infrequently aren't you throwing away your expired test as you never used them up?

I see a flux in my number more as I do weekly 30+ gal WC. It's not that I'm chasing a number. It's simply checking to see if I need to vary the doser amount over the next week. I'm not going to pretent I know what organism uses all the mg in my tank, but even 30g WC don't come close to keeping up wth mg usage. All the more verification every tank is different. If you're not tesing how would you know?

Just my .02 and I know I'm in the moinority.

rockhead

I dose 10ml every day to balance the CAL and ALK from Calcium Reactor. Always stay at 1250 - 1350...Cal betweeen 420-450 and ALK between 8-9.
I'm in the same boat, looks just like my readings, I just mixed a fresh gallon of mag, it's funny this topic can up

Tom

Spartanman22

Time for the contrarian view :)

Since you are keeping Calcium and Alkalinity well in balance, I don't think you need to check Magnesium unless you really enjoy testing and dosing, and want another number to chase. There is 3-5 times as much Mg in water as there is Ca; it gets replaced by water changes and is slowly taken up by corals. For infrequent water-changers, probably a different story.

As you can see by reading the thread, I'm in the minority here. But there are people out there who never test Magnesium and still keep SPS successfully.
As a chemist by trade, yes I certainly do enjoy testing!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk