Magnetic Frag Rack

Emisis

Searching many many forums for a DIY magnetic frag rack that wasn't so "ghetto". I found a place that sold magnets that were salt water safe with enough "pull force" to hold them in place. I made one up for a test with a piece of scrap egg crate to see how it will hold up. I am going to add more frags to it later but this is what I have so far. I purchased these from K&J Magnetics: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DC2E

View attachment 4636

View attachment 4637

helitaiwan963

oh wow...do update us on how many frags it can hold... I've been looking to find something better looking than my egg crate zip tied to my magfloat... lol

Emisis

I gave it a test with some rock for now, it was a little wobbly. It was still able to hold though with these on it. I would say the rocks are 4"x4"x2-3" give or take. I will load up the frags tomorrow since Ive been hands in tank fooling around with this project. I bumped it so that's where the lean came from.

Need to mention the dimensions are 7.25"x 3" test piece. The magnets are the diameter of a penny, thickness of 2 pennies.

View attachment 4638

Emisis

Where? None of them in the pictures posted compare in value. Knowing what I paid for them, which is less than your chalice. I'm still dialing in my lights too, the SPS in the rack WAS dark green until I bleached it *&^#!^%%

RedDevil.258

oh wow...do update us on how many frags it can hold... I've been looking to find something better looking than my egg crate zip tied to my magfloat... lol
Hey bro don't knock the old algae mag cleaner/frag rack zip tie combo! LOL It's a sweet multi-purpose tool that I have used many times. :)

Emisis

haha, that purple one looked interesting next to it.
Trick photography!! That is actually well, recovering from almost death. That side, well what you see is dead. The other side has a hint of life coming back. It's supposed to be pink, one of my hermits took it out of my other "frag" racks. I lost it for over a week until it got drug out in the open. It is recovering for now and I am hoping it makes it. It had only 2 polyps left and it's up to maybe 10 that I can see slowly working its way up the dead part.

Emisis

yeah, I wasnt certain it was going to work because I initially put too much on the magnet. Its the same glue I use for my frags. The magnets are epoxy coated too so that helps. (In case you didnt read the description in the link)