Mandarin tank mates in a 40b??!!

AForys

Currently I have a 40b dt/20l sump/fuge cycling with LR and sand from my established tank. I won't be adding the mandarin til about 6-8 months in. But I want to prepare my live stock now. 1st things first, I'll be transferring all my livestock from my jbj nano and this consists of...

6line wrasse
3x blue/green chromis
Black hi finned goby/Randalls pistal pair
Skunk cleaner shrimp
Arrow crab
Anemone crab that hosts my mini maxi

All these guys get along great (6line hasn't went berserk yet!)

And a a packed variety of lps and softies/zoas.

I was thinking a flame angel(I know it can be hit or miss on these guys munching coral) will one be compatible with the rest of the tank mates especially a mandarin?
What other fish are safe to have with mandarins in a 40b?
Im well aware of mandarin needs, been planning out the whole fuge/copepod. And im also aware of 6line feeding habits and he eats frozen and flake foods as well. But any and all negitive and positive input is greatly appreciated.

Mandarin tank mates in a 40g breeder, go!!

Tank2379

If you plan on having a Mandarin, establish a good pod source in your fuge. IMO I would ditch the 6 line they eat everything from copepods to flatworms but that's hit or miss on the flatworms. In any case they are the best little hunters out there until they turn ugly. Having no copepod eaters in the tank for that long with help populate your Pod source in the Tank making it a great place for your mandarin to become happy and healthy all in one.

rako1

Premium member
I had a mandarin in my 40 tank up and running for 2 years stocked with copies pods. Tank not big enough to sustain enough pods 4 them

AForys

yes, I was thinking that. ive had this 6line in my 28g nano for 6-7 months. and the nano is still crawling with a huge amount of pods, and huge ones at that. maybe I'll keep the nano up for another year and introduce 6line after mandarin? I've set up fuge to be a pod machine. including 1in sand, rock/dead coral ruble and will have cheato and ulva 8n there.

When I had my 90 gallon, without wrasses and a 29 gallon fuge I felt it was barely enough for my Mandarin. Also the three Chromis will probably turn into one as they kill each other off.

AForys

Did you have a fuge set up for pods? And the chromis have been together with a 6 line for about 4 months now and you do see a pecking order as with all fish but they shoal together and no damage done to each other visually. Yet!

Rallos

If you set up one of those breeder mesh baskets and stick the mandarin in there at first you can train him to take frozen. Feed live at first and then slowly introduce frozen til he's on all frozen. I haven't done it myself but I've been told the process takes anywhere from 2-6 weeks depending on the individual fish.