Massive Aiptasia Outbreak HELP!

dpodolak

I got back from a 2 and a half week vacation to find my tank infested with aiptasia, I'd say that there is over 150 and they are starting to pop up every where and even hurt my other corals (preventing them from opening up). I have had a mild aiptasia problem but I always kept it at bay. I have tried 3 copper bands and they either get too harassed by tank mates or they don't touch the aiptasia or other food. I have tried peppermint shrimp twice first time I bought two and they both disappeared. I think my orchid dotty back may be killing them. This time around when I got back from vacation I bought 5 peppermints from 2 different stores and 2 days later they are gone again. It would take forever to syringe kill every single one, do I have any other options? Thanks
Tank Mates:
Yellow Tang
Blue Hippo
2 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
1 orchid dotty back
1 Fire Shrimp
Tank Size 75 Gallons

Illinijoe

TeamCR
temporaily take out the orchid dotty back, put in peppermints let them take care of aptasia, rehome pepermints, put fish back in.

madjoe

Premium member
You can try like a saddle back butterfly then ditch it after they eat em all few people did this before they seem to leave coral alone as long as they have aptasia to eat

dpodolak

Thanks for the input guys I will probably try a saddle back butterfly. The dotty back is impossible to catch always stays in his hole only darts up for food and then quickly goes back...

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks for the input guys I will probably try a saddle back butterfly. The dotty back is impossible to catch always stays in his hole only darts up for food and then quickly goes back...
Just make sure u have a plan on catching him just in case he decides to munch corals every fish is different never know how they gonna act but besides breaking down and starting fresh i dont think u have many options unless u can find berghi nudies somewhere heard they work great and just die when the aptasia is done

rako1

Premium member
Berghia nudibranch from saltyunderground they are a little expensive but they do a great job

fishtank44

I got aiptasia before in my tank copper band butterfly did very job after 5 days aiptasia all gone then fish turned to LPS even sps I catching it out of my tank , tank with out copper band butterfly aiptasia came back in a month finally I put it back in tank for fish doing his job I kkeep my eyes on it to making sure not in touching corals.

fishyfish22

Premium member
My schools tank was loaded with aptasian before I got to it . Put in a matted file fish and within weeks there wasn't an aptasia in sight

dpodolak

If I do add the saddleback or filefish should I remove some of my corals, how fast do you think he would he eat zoas?

mikenh77

I had a similar experience to fishtank44. My copperband butterfly took care of the aiptasia in a week and turned to my LPS.

I'd be wary fo Berghia Nudis because your dottyback might make a meal out of them.

Unk

I had a filefish take care of my problem pretty quickly than I got rid of it. Hope this helps out.