Matt's 12"x12" Nano

m.miller1547

Im very happy to be back in the hobby. A few years have passed and without a reef I feel something is missing.

I plan to build a mixed reef, but as my confidence increases I hope to go SPS dominant. I used to enjoy my softies and I will definitly have a few but my favorite tanks are the hardest to keep.

I will be implementing an automated water change system. The goal is to keep my hands out of the water. I will also be looking to add a sump down the road, but for now im going to keep it as simple as possible. I do have plans for another larger tank and this nano will likely tie into it.

Equipment ive accumulated so far:

Aqua Illumination Nano w/ Director - big thanks to Ryan aka Slimm
Vortech MP10
Fluval C2 HOB - floss, rubble, chemi-pure
Fluval Edge 25W heater
RODI unit w/ Brute can

So far I have caribsea sand and 7lb of rock. The rock was bought from a few different LFS and the tank is already alive.

Added water on 4/11 and after adding the rock ive tested ammonia at 1ppm. A small nitrite spike so im on my way.

Ive always trusted Reef Crystals and bought a bucket..

My first addition in a week or so(pending a few tests) will be a CUC and then a YWG or some kind of sand/rock dwelling mean mugging burrower.

Please comment and leave suggestions.

Thanks for viewing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

m.miller1547

Haha.. Couldn't bring myself to change it. I like the nostalgia. I do look forward to a zoa growout competition.

m.miller1547

Ready to go! I will say tho.. I did not do a water change and somehow the nitrates are low. I have always thought the trick to reducing nitrates was water changes?

I did test it twice.

m.miller1547

A few recent shots. Added another big piece of rock. Coraline is coming in well. Tank is as stable as I allow it. -My kids dont feed it for sure.

I bought two clowns. Oreo & McFurry.. 6year old son. Lol. Frostbite snow or something and a black snowflake. Oreo is dominant. Bites relentlessly, but she's not too bad on Mcfurry.

Added two BTA... They are leaving soon. A 3" and silver dollar freebee. The larger just jogs around the tank.

Petco has had Mini Maxi nems available for damn cheap and its on my way home. Ive bought three over 8 weeks.

Evap is bad, but the tank is very easy. I havnt done traditional water changes. I cycle 5 gallons thru it a week. I remove a specimin container full and fill back up. Repeat till I feel like it. Nitrates stay low..

Any mini maxi anenome out there?

cju84

Those minimaxis look incredible! Petco sells them?? I haven't seen any in the city that sell any sort of marine livestock. WTH!

m.miller1547

I will not tell you where, but I stop on Thursday to remind the manager of his stock list.

m.miller1547

Those minimaxis look incredible! Petco sells them?? I haven't seen any in the city that sell any sort of marine livestock. WTH!
Oak lawn petco. Get livestock on Tuesday. Ive bashed this store for its shitty tanks but they hired Chris.. He doesnt know much but takes care of the tanks well. Ive watched a rbta grow over a month. Looks really nice, but its $70...

The maxi's come in kinda dark but color up with good light. Mine grew over an inch in a month with some shrimp.

Peaches

Oak lawn petco. Get livestock on Tuesday. Ive bashed this store for its shitty tanks but they hired Chris.. He doesnt know much but takes care of the tanks well. Ive watched a rbta grow over a month. Looks really nice, but its $70...

The maxi's come in kinda dark but color up with good light. Mine grew over an inch in a month with some shrimp.

Ive heard some people get good deals at some of these . The ones ive been too kinda crappy weird green slime alage. Fish seemed ok just not great selection. Just the normal yellow tangs and clownfish and sixline wrasses and man six lines are super mean glad tank was nano catching him wasn't fun

m.miller1547

Officially a species tank.

The BTAs are gone!! Ive been hunting down Maxi Anemones. Ive bought too many and am looking for a bit more water now, but the tank has been surprisingly stable.

Most of the pics im posting are the new arrival nems.

The original couple I bought from petco have colored up unbelievably. Im going to see the same for some of these others.

I do plan to propogate these guys, but will only do so if it's convenient.

My collection will be at 19... I bought these from AquaSD. Arriving on Wed...