Matt's JBJ 28 Nano mixed reef build

brettz16

Ok who is good with LED layouts? I'm in the planning stages of trying to layout my LEDs and this is what I got. What do you think?

front of the tank
w b uv b w
b w r w b
b uv g uv b
w b w b w

w=cool white
b=royal blues
uv = ultra violet
r=red
g=green

Is this too much color in the middle of my tank?
Kratos took care of several group buy layouts including mine. I love how it turned out.

sh0tyme83

Got my new maxi jet 1200 yesterday and put it into the tank. That little powerhead packs a lot of flow. It's alittle noisier than the stock pumps though. I'll have to try and find a way to stop it from rattling. Today is going to be leveling the tank and stand and getting my old live now dead rock into an acid bath to remove all the left over deposits of PO4 or anything that might have lasted for 3 years out of water. I plan on getting the tank partially filed with salt water as well as the new live sand. Should be a busy day.

CoralN00b

Matt,

I was just doing some research on those MJ pumps the other day. Some people put a sponge under them to keep them from rattling. Try that and see if it works.

Have fun and be careful with that rock.

Hsolano

Doing a DIY LED mod on my Nano 28, did you decide on a layout? I wanted to see if it was any different from your original post.

sh0tyme83

Well almost a year later and I finally have the tank filled today! Got the stand built, custom concrete counter made (painted and sealed 4x), rock was acid bathed and new Oolite sand. Glad to finally have a wet tank again at home after dealing with building the stand and then my wife getting laid off, I'm happy to just be this far. Tank still needs to clear and I have to buy/build some sort of media basket. The one that comes with it is junk, the water is just flowing over the top of it instead of going through the filter floss. Maybe on the agenda for tomorrow. What do you guys think?

View attachment 3729

Filled and waiting for it to clear!
View attachment 3730

Last edited:

imranh

Digging the aquascape but you might end up regretting the fine oolite sand. Might have to watch flow and definitely stay away from sand sifting gobies.

Keep us updated. How are you planning on cycling? Good luck!

sh0tyme83

Yea, I was back and forth with the Oolite, but I like the "natural" look to it. When I think of sand for a reef tank, this is what I think of. I don't know how I'm going to cycle yet. I have all dry sand and rock so I might need something to jumpstart the process.

Jep21

If u want a less noisy pump i would go with a cobalt maxijet 1200.. I have three of those pumps in my jbj 28g.. Two running the returns and one running a chiller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sh0tyme83

Yea, when I bought a maxi jet 1200 for the return, I didn't realize there were 2 different brands d'oh. I got the non-cobalt one of course. I need to figure out a way to keep snails from entering the over-flow and getting into the pumps. The return isn't that loud until the snails start getting sucked into the intake and the pump rattles a lot more. I thinking about siliconing some screening or something right behind the overflow.